IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

'08 Right Front Axle seal

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
tjmotter
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
United States of America
tjmotter

'08 Right Front Axle seal

Post by tjmotter » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 pm

The vehicle is an '08 XC90 with the V8 and AWD.

Working on my Nephew's vehicle. I removed the axle shaft as part of the process of replacing the alternator and was surprised to find that there was no fluid at all on the shaft. I expected to find some ATF and had a rag ready but it was bone dry. The seal is shot and I am in the process of replacing it but I have never seen an axle shaft come out dry before. It seemed to run just fine.

I know that the XC has a small transmission leak (next project) so I wanted to ask those of you on the forum if a dry shaft is normal on this model or is it the tranny just low on fluid. I would expect it to be low fluid levels but after watching a couple of YouTube videos on alternator replacement, the few shots where the axle has been removed and is visible look exactly like mine - bone dry.

thoughts?
Todd

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: '08 Right Front Axle seal

Post by RickHaleParker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:48 am

Expected, otherwise they would need a tight seal around the spinning Axle, which in addition to spinning moves up and down. It is simpler to seal inside the transmission where they only need to deal with spin.

When I replaced the right axle on my C70 same thing, no fluid leakage.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
tjmotter
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold