IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Engine Splash Guard Oil Change Modification?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

Sparehead
Year and Model: 2010 XC70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Sparehead

Engine Splash Guard Oil Change Modification?

Post by Sparehead » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new (to the forums and Volvos). The Mrs. just bought a used 3rd gen XC70. Seems like a nice car. We haven't even picked it up yet, but I've been doing some research and I see I'm in for some fun oil changes. I haven't even done one yet and I'm already groaning at the thought of having to pull that big splash guard panel off for each oil change.

I've read here and there that a few people just leave the splash guard off, or have purchased cars without one present. I'd rather not do that so I came up with the idea of cutting a teardrop-shaped hole into it, starting at the back of the oil pan where the drain is. It'd be wide enough to turn a ratchet and teardrop shaped to account for the initial pour coming from the rearward facing drain plug.

Has anyone else here done something similar? I'm wondering if there's a good reason to not do this. It's only plastic so it can't offer too much protection for the oil pan, and even still I'd be cutting it just aft of the pan. It shouldn't allow too much in the way of dirt, water, or debris into the engine compartment, and certainly less than leaving it off altogether. I'd appreciate any thoughts from the Volvo veterans. Thanks.

Sparehead
United States of America
Sparehead

Re: Engine Splash Guard Oil Change Modification?

Post by Sparehead » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Sorry, I posted to the wrong section. It should have been under the 2008-2016 generation of cars. Such a noob...

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:00 pm

All set
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
Sparehead
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:40 pm

I think one of the things is to have the hole is such way, so as not have the oil from the filter leaking onto the plate - this will cause the oil to run on the top of the plate and drip at some other place. Maybe look here
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
Sparehead

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:36 pm

I thought about it too but decided to leave it alone.

To do it "properly", you need to cut 2 openings:
1. A round opening for the oil filter area.
2. A rectangular hole for the oil drain plug area.

Seriously, removing the 6 or 7 10-mm bolts is not that bad, it takes about 2-3 minutes.
Trick: loose the REAR 2 bolts first bc if you don't you will likely crack the plastic shield precisely at those places.
These users thanked the author cn90 for the post:
Sparehead
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:42 pm

Agree, with an electric drill+socket, the plate is out in no time - we get used with removing it
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
Sparehead

Sparehead
United States of America
Sparehead

Post by Sparehead » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks for the replies. That is a sweet looking skidplate. I wouldn't put it past her, but I'm going to remain hopeful the Mrs. won't need anything that substantial. Regarding the oil filter, I've seen videos showing at least for the '08-'16 V/XC70 the oil filter more easily comes out from the top. It just requires moving the steering fluid reservoir out of its clip and off to the side. It's the upright and encapsulated type so the filter oil should drain into the pan. So far this is the only model I've looked at. I'd assume they're not all like that.

I suppose I'll make up my mind once I get to that first oil change and need to take the thing off. I was hoping with this car being higher off the ground than most I'd be able to do oil changes without lifting it or needing ramps, but I'm not sure that'll be the case if I need to remove that skidplate each time.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:12 am

Even with a $25 jack from Pep Boys, I got so I could get the front of my 850 or V70, chocked, off the floor and jackstanded in 2 minutes.

This https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-al ... 64545.html is what I'll buy next, because, well, it's good to have decent tools.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]