IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

One way clutch or pulley?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
toolpusher
Year and Model: 2007 XC90

One way clutch or pulley?

Post by toolpusher »

Hello!
We drive a 2007 XC90 3.2 I6 with 135k miles on.
I'd need help to understand what two different Volvo shops are telling me and if they both contradict the maintenance schedule.
Shop no. 1 is the local Volvo dealer, where the car was originally purchased from and maintained for a couple of years.
Shop no. 2 is a local independent Volvo shop, whose owner used to be master technician at the local Volvo dealer. Because his repair business was successful, he started selling cars. That’s where we got our XC90.

Recently, at a traffic light, a rhythmic grinding noise came out the engine bay. It was so scary that I decided to have the car towed next day to the independent shop.
They could not find anything serious except a worn lower engine mount that was replaced.
Upon pickup I noticed the sound again, less noisy, but presented it to the mechanic who used a stethoscope, did a 10 min diagnosis and determined that it's most likely from one of the pulleys of the auxiliary belt (left engine side where the A/C sits).
They quoted me $840 to do the “150k scheduled” belt service including belt, pulleys, tensioner, and water pump coupling.

I went to the Volvo dealer for a second opinion. First, I called and they quoted me $465 for the maintenance schedule belt job.
But after they had the car in for two hours for diagnosis they determined (quote):
“Confirmed rattle noise from the one-way clutch for belt drive. One-way clutch is locking up – should free wheel in one direction. Recommend clutch replacement and associated parts: Belt, idler pulley, tensioner and P/S coupler. $1,397 plus tax”
They also mentioned verbally to me that this is normally part of the 150k service, that this is the engine side with the power steering, and a 5 hour job.

BUT: according to the schedule in my handbook, this engine has a 112.5k service to replace “auxiliary drive belt, tensioner, idler pulley and clutch”. There is a 150k schedule to do the same (except clutch) for engine VIN code 85, but mine is 98.

So my questions:
- Were both shops wrong in referring to the 150k service or is it my fault?
- Is the water pump and the power steering on the same side of the engine and driven by the same belt?
- Is the one-way clutch a separate piece or part of the power steering unit, water pump, or another part?
- Or does every unit that is powered by the belt has a separate one-way clutch?
- Is the $840 a reasonable quote from the independent shop considering the dealer said over the phone $465 for apparently the same job?
- What questions could I ask to the independent job before giving the job to them to make sure they get it right and I don’t overpay? (if the diagnosis of the Volvo shop is correct…)
- Wouldn’t it be advisable to have the water pump done at the same time?
- Why would one shop replace the P/S coupling and the other one the water pump coupling?

Thank you!
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: One way clutch or pulley?

Post by oragex »

I don't have the answer but I think you did well asking first on forum(s). I think while there you may look at the thermostat and at the alternator pulley bolt as well (see youtube for issues). Wait for jimmy57 or some other member to chin in (they are most often times on the 01-09 S60 section)
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

There is confusion on the belt service interval. Volvo caused it due to the same exact parts on different emissions versions of the same engine family using differing schedules. The belt is often OK but the idler or tensioner rollers may be reaching its end before 150K.
There are only two one way clutches. The serpentine belt drive pulley for the belt that turns ac compressor and power steering pump pulley (the water pump is in turn driven by the power steering pump pulley through a coupler) has one to dampen drive pulsation on that group of items and the alternator has one. The alternator is under the intake manifold and is driven through an internally cogged sleeve, effectively a 2 inch diameter timing belt. To smooth the pulsations there the alternator has the one way clutch. They may find that the alternator clutch also needs to be replaced. I find that both can be done or close to it starting at 125K.
pgill
Year and Model: 2010 S80, 2008 LR2

Post by pgill »

A few links that may help to understand what needs to be done

Note: the pictures at the end of this first link are for an XC90

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33363.html

A post that shows what the overdrive pulleys look like

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33867.html

A nice video

An amazing MVS post that fully documented the repair on a V70 3.2

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=78772&sid=91a5b0f1 ... 234cddcd2b

Take care

Paul
toolpusher

Post by toolpusher »

@jimmy57 and pgill: Thank you very much.

So do I understand correctly, that the scheduled service to replace “auxiliary drive belt, tensioner, idler pulley and clutch” would take care of the issue, as there is only one clutch to replace and it will automatically be replaced once they replace the idler pulley?

Or in other words, the Volvo dealer is now quoting me a job that was previously quoted at $465 (scheduled service) now for $1,397, and the only additional part they are changing is the P/S coupler...

The independent shop told me they replace the waterpump coupling as well, when they are on to it.

Is that a job a non-Volvo / non-Euro independent shop could do that has no particular experience with Volvo's? Or could they mess up things as it appears to be a complex job judging from the Youtube video.
pgill

Post by pgill »

belt diagram.jpg
belt diagram.jpg (29.61 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Item #1 this is the overdrive pulley - one way clutch
item_1.jpg
item_1.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Item #2 - AC compressor
item_2.jpg
item_2.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Item #3 - Belt Tensioner
item_3.png
item_3.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 613 times

Item #4 idler pulley (spins freely in both directions no clutch)
item_4.jpg
item_4.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Item #5 - Water Pump
item_6.jpg
item_6.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Item #6 - spring coupling between water pump and power steering pump
item_8.jpg
item_8.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Item #7 - Power steering pump
item_10.jpg
item_10.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 613 times
toolpusher

Post by toolpusher »

Bringing this topic up once more for my final question:

Does the scheduled service to replace “auxiliary drive belt, tensioner, idler pulley and clutch” take care of the jammed one way clutch, as there is only one clutch to replace and it will automatically be replaced once they replace the idler pulley?
pgill

Post by pgill »

Here is what Volvo recommends
Volvo.jpg
Volvo.jpg (273.89 KiB) Viewed 597 times
I don't take my car to the dealership for service so I only use the above information as a guideline for the minimum maintenance.

If the printed information from Volvo is strictly correct then they skipped the idler pulley and tensioner/pulley.

Based on experience from my two 3.2's and other 3.2 owners the items that wear out are

- Idler pulley
- Tensioner pulley
- Clutch pulley
- The Belt

Take care

Paul
toolpusher

Post by toolpusher »

Thank you very much.
What do you think of doing the water pump as well, when they are already on it?
pgill

Post by pgill »

Here is what I would prioritize

1. Idler Pulley
2. Tensioner and pulley
3. Over Drive clutch for serpentine belt
4. Serpentine belt

5. Thermostat
6. Small coolant hose and O-ring (from heat exchanger to engine block)
7. Anti Drain Valve in oil filter housing

8. Coolant hose that failed for a 3.2 owner with >300,000 miles (I can get you the part number if you need it)

9. One way drive clutch for the Alternator

10. Coolant hoses that connect to the heater core

11. BOT gear oil in the power transfer unit
12. Rear Differential Gear oil change (and get a magnetic drain plug)
13. Haldex Fluid and filter change

14. Spark-plugs

15. Power steering fluid change

16. Brake Hoses and flush the brake fluid

17. Rebuild the Brake calipers

18. O-rings for the Brake Vacuum pump (if they are leaking engine oil)

19. Replace all fuses to prevent electrical gremlins

20. Water Pump

I would start at the top of the list and work down.

Take care

Paul