IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Engine quitting while driving

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Beagleman2020
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Beagleman2020

Engine quitting while driving

Post by Beagleman2020 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi everyone. First post here, thanks in advance for your thoughts. My kid’s 06 XC90 (2.5t) has been quitting while driving for no apparent reason. No warning lights before or after. It’s very random, once a week or so. I’ve only been able to make it happen once, it’s happened several times to her and of course is terrifying. It happens abruptly, so I can’t tell if it’s fuel or electrical related. The one time I was driving it cut out and I saved it by working the accelerator. Any ideas?

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Engine quitting while driving

Post by oragex » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 am

How many miles on it? When it stalls, do you still have dash lights ?
If there's still electric power, I'm thinking three things (in this order): kinked fuel hose inside the tank (we just had someone with this issue, in between tank sections plastic hose was kinked), PEM - look up on Google (a used one from Ebay will work without programming.), FPS. Usually the fuel pump is solid on these cars - saying this because it's the first thing mechanics want to replace.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:41 pm

I am in agreement with oragex, but how long have you owned the car miles wise, do you know any service history and what level is the fuel tank at (empty to full range)?

Beagleman2020
United States of America
Beagleman2020

Post by Beagleman2020 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks guys. Car has 176k miles. Runs like a racehorse on the highway, just a few gremlins I need to work out. I don’t lose lights when it cuts out, and it throws no error codes. We’ve owned it for about 5000 miles. Don’t think previous owner did much with it. Easy way to verify fuel tank hose kink?

Beagleman2020
United States of America
Beagleman2020

Post by Beagleman2020 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:01 am

Sorry SuperHerman, the tank level is a good question. This happens so sporadically that I think it’s been at multiple levels...will keep an eye on that.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:48 am

Here are my thoughts - the fuel went bad and a new one was fitted. The install was not done correctly. Prior owner sold the car as a result - most likely the installed excluded it as a cause b/c they believed they just fixed it.

To verify you will have to pull some parts from the interior. There are videos and write ups on the project. (Fuel pump change)

Were it me, I would pull out the needed interior pieces and look under the two fuel tank access doors. I would be looking for signs of a new pump being installed - basically it will look new - not very dirty fresher plastic. You could post a picture of what you find. You will not be doing anything to serious - just looking at the top of the pump to see if it is newer - unfortunately it takes some work to get there.

Of course other option is to ask the prior seller.