IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 V70 XC- Multiple Electronic Issues

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

spue
Year and Model: 2002 V70 XC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
spue

2002 V70 XC- Multiple Electronic Issues

Post by spue » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 am

After a quick search of this forum, I didn't find a match to my issues, so time for a new topic post:

I bought a 2002 XC for my daughter and I've been chasing some gremlins for months. Often the battery will drain for no apparent reason. Sometimes the fan will run long after the car has been turned off. Several buttons here and there don't work. Most of the buttons on the stereo (hu-613) dont' work. I bought an aftermarket stereo to install with proper harness adapters. Hooked it all up and all the control buttons on the driver's door quit working- power windows, locks mirror controls. The windshield wipers turned on even though the switch was off. Also the sound from the speakers distorted if it was turned up above a whisper. I re-installed the stock stereo and all the controls worked again. Reading around a little, i understand that there might be a built in amplifier that could be the cause of the distortion. and yes, i did disconnect the battery before working on stuff.

So I'm hoping that this is all related somehow and that there is one magic component that is cheap and easy to replace that will fix everything. Ideas anyone?

Thanks for reading.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2002 V70 XC- Multiple Electronic Issues

Post by oragex » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:07 pm

By fan, you mean cabin blower or the radiator fan ?

You may try a used HU-613 from ebay/junkyard, be sure to get a 2002 one (any Volvo model)

What you describe with wipers, windows, etc is not common on this car but there's a chance a weak battery would cause some weird electric issues.

It's not easy to find what drains the current. There's a few videos on Youtube showing how to 'try' find it, but with these Volvo is not that easy. You may disconnect the negative at the battery, have dr door trunk and hood open, then connect in series a multimeter at 10AMP plug (has to have 10amp measure). Then wait exactly 10 min for all computers to go sleeping, and see what the drain is. May then try removing fuses one by one. Possible current drain locations can be rear plate light bulbs, alarm siren (remove the fuse), window/door switches. Or of course, the fans

Mike Langlois
Year and Model: 2002 V70 & V70 XC
United States of America
Mike Langlois

Post by Mike Langlois » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:07 pm

I've been playing with a 2002 V70 XC for a while now and had 2 issues that may be related. Battery drain caused by a bad turn signal switch; couldn't track it for the life of me, but knew the switch needed replacement. Once replaced all was good. Had a 202 V70 that had all sorts of electrical problems; turned out to be a bad repair in the wiring harness from the throttle to the computer. They had spliced in new wiring and used crimp connectors, then recovered it in the wiring harness. 6 months into it, I noticed that the wires were all the same color and the problem was easy to trace from there.

diyrwolf
Year and Model: 2001 v70 XC
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
diyrwolf

Post by diyrwolf » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:34 pm

There is an IPD video on youtube that may cover some of these things. They have a few videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae7dHa2KnOc

E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto
United States of America
E Showell

Post by E Showell » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Make sure the glove box is shutting properly. If not, light stays lit and drains battery.
These users thanked the author E Showell for the post:
diyrwolf
'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (actively for sale)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic