IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Marking "Topic Solved" is functional again. It's the green check next to your post. BTW, please do use this when your question is answered and verified. Thanks!
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Aquisition/purchase Tips XC60, year 2016-2017

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
adrian825
Year and Model: XC60,2016

Aquisition/purchase Tips XC60, year 2016-2017

Post by adrian825 »

Hi all and Happy New Year!

I'm looking to purchase a SH Volvo XC60, Year 2016-2017.

Since I have no experience at all with Volvo cars ( currently I own an Audi A6 Avant, 2012) I could use any advice on what to pay attention before buying it.

What I'm interested in the car:
- I'm considering this brand due to the safety features and built quality
- To offer comfort on poor streets quality ( no sport suspension packages)
- Which engines are the most reliable, Diesel or Petrol? I'm driving mostly on very short distances inside a city
- Which Gearbox to choose? I prefer an automatic, but I don't know if are reliable. For example, at my multitronic Audi A6, I've had some bad experiences with it. I think would be safer to choose a manual one.
- Is it worth to buy a AWD? or a front wheel drive will be enough, considering that where I live we don't have that much winter conditions in a year.

I had looked at other options, like Audi Q5 or BMW X3.

Thanks a lot for your inputs!
Adrian
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Re: Aquisition/purchase Tips XC60, year 2016-2017

Post by matthew1 »

Hi Adrian, welcome to MVS and Happy New Year :-)

We here don't regularly discuss Euro models, but sometimes questions pop up and we're happy to give what help we can. Here's what I know from the XC60 Wikipedia page:

Yes, you have to choose between gasoline and diesel. Interestingly to me, both are the same displacement: 1,969 cc, and probably share many parts. I know diesel is dying slowly, but that's a "long arc" environmental/industry/consumer phenomenon. I don't know if that matters to you in the typically 20-ish-year lifespans of personal automobiles, and this specific choice.

I don't have any information on Volvo 2.0 diesel reliability.

Get a second generation XC60, 2017-today. SPA platform. Better. I haven't heard anything going wrong with the predicted turbo/supercharged/small engine catastrophe when Volvo moved to the 2.0l 4-cylinder. It's been five years now on the XC90 gen 2.

Auto vs. manual is a personal choice, barring some information on the manual's reliability that hasn't reached these shores. We don't get manual Volvos here. Do you want to move your left leg often? I have a manual VW, and shifting gets to be a chore in city driving.

Don't need AWD? Don't get it. Same with sport suspension.

I'd look for a base model manual FWD 2017 XC60. That's my opinion from the US.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

adrian825
Year and Model: XC60,2016

Re: Aquisition/purchase Tips XC60, year 2016-2017

Post by adrian825 »

Thanks a lot for your fast reply and info!