IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

3.2 Automatic Transmission leak. DYI/Video 2 Fix this?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Turbo_Boss
Year and Model: 2008 XC90 3.2AWD
Panama
Turbo_Boss

3.2 Automatic Transmission leak. DYI/Video 2 Fix this?

Post by Turbo_Boss » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:41 am

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 XC90 with 3.2 AWD

My automatic transmission TF-80SC has an ATF Fluid leak that comes from the valve body cover that’s on the front of the transmission. Please check the photo.

This cover doesn’t use a regular gasket. Volvo manual says to use Anaerobic Silicone.

I really appreciated if you guys pointed me to videos, pictures or a DYI of what I need to remove to get access to that part.

Thx for your time and help

Isaac
ATF COVER FLUID LEAK.jpg
ATF COVER FLUID LEAK.jpg (108.18 KiB) Viewed 18 times
2008 VOLVO XC90 3.2L AWD
2008 TOYOTA Prado 2.7L 4x4
2009 VW Jetta 2.0

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 3.2 Automatic Transmission leak. DYI/Video 2 Fix this?

Post by oragex » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:59 pm

Perhaps a previous owner has already replaced some solenoids and didn't seal properly the cover back. I'm surprised to hear about anaerobic on this cover, unless the matching surfaces are very fine machined and large. Mine wasn't anything like that and some regular grey RTV sealed it perfectly - the grey one is also easy to undo a future time if needed. Just my take on this, if the leak isn't that bad, I would try to clean a bit and find where it leaks, and clear that area really well, then try to seal from the outside, even spreading a little wider than the seal area - there is no pressure inside this cover, so it's really just sealing so it doesn't leak. Also, if you seal without removing the cover, you have to use aerobic sealant (such as the grey RTV) because it has to cure in presence of oxygen. I've sheared a few cover bolts in the process so had to spread the sealant outside the cover, and it holds very well. I would personally not try to remove the cover only to redone the seal, this is the process on my 2.4 S60 - the 3.2 will differ but gives you an idea - notice that if lowering the subframe the strut upper bolts must be removed to allow the strut to lower, otherwise it may get damaged

Turbo_Boss
Year and Model: 2008 XC90 3.2AWD
Panama
Turbo_Boss

Post by Turbo_Boss » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:58 am

Hey Oragex,

Thx for your reply

I think lowering the subframe will be a PITA. It's not a big leak but I will clean that area and then I will apply silicone as per your recommendation

Just curious, what regular grey silicone you are using or recommend me to use?

Here in my country I can get Permatex and Loctite Brand

Thx for your time and help

Isaac
2008 VOLVO XC90 3.2L AWD
2008 TOYOTA Prado 2.7L 4x4
2009 VW Jetta 2.0

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:06 pm

Mine was Permatex, a well respected brand. I think Loctite also have good products.