Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Car Died/Crank, No Start

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
ChipmunkPizza
Year and Model: 2001 S80

Car Died/Crank, No Start

Post by ChipmunkPizza »

I have a 2001 S80 T6 that hasn’t run in about a year. The car initially shut off on the highway without warning and would not start back up. I have checked the compression in each cylinder, which was around 150-160 PSI for each one. I currently have spark, and have about 60 or so PSI of fuel pressure at the rail. The MAF and ETM were cleaned recently. Additionally, the MAP sensor and turbo boost solenoid have all been replaced recently. The only code that I have is P0236. I actually got the car to run momentarily after cranking it over for nearly 5 minutes, however it died after I stopped giving it gas and would not start again. When I try and crank the car over, it seems like it wants to run. It makes a sort of “chugging” noise like the engine is just turning over slightly, but then dies out. Also, when I am cranking it over, massive plumes of white smoke come out of the exhaust. I’m not sure what to do at this point. As always, any help is appreciated. Thank you.
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Car Died/Crank, No Start

Post by SuperHerman »

Try disconnecting the MAF and see if it will run.
RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.

Post by RickHaleParker »

Pull the timing belt cover off and take a good look at the timing belt tensioner. From your description it sounds like the tensioner may of broken/slipped allowing the timing belt to jump just enough to cause a no start condition but not enough to cause interference.

Push on the timing belt. Does it have a lot of slack?

I bought my S40 in this condition ... paid $500 for a $3500 car. Nobody else would touch it.
1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
2004 S60R, B8444S TF80 AWD.
2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman »

Good call on timing belt issues RickHaleParker. Chipmunkpizza check the timing before you try anything else - your compression numbers show you don't have valve damage which is great. If you keep trying to run it and the belt is in fact jumping further attempts could cause further movement and damage. At this point it is well worth the look and could save your motor.
ChipmunkPizza
Year and Model: 2001 S80

Post by ChipmunkPizza »

Thank you all for the advice. I was able to get the car towed into my driveway today to verify the timing. The marks on the cam gears were in-line with the marks on the cover, so I knew that timing likely wasn’t an issue. So, I did as SuperHerman suggested and disconnected the MAF and cranked the car over. To my surprise, it actually worked! :D After all the time and effort I put into the car, it was a simple sensor that was causing a no-start issue.

Appreciatively,
ChipmunkPizza
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman »

Glad it worked out for you. I had a MAF failure years ago on my 2004 XC90 resulting in a no start. I dispute it is a simple sensor - it is a very important sensor in engine operation, but I get your point.

That said - an easy check on some no-starts is to unplug the MAF. As I understand it the system will go into a closed-loop status and the car will function, but not optimally. It is an easy way to test for a completely failed MAF suffering a certain type of failure. It is not an absolute MAF is functioning correctly test - but it is way to eliminate the MAF as the cause of the no start.