IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

B230F "Proper" Crankase Ventilation Retrofit

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

LostFoam
Year and Model: 1990 740
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
LostFoam

B230F "Proper" Crankase Ventilation Retrofit

Post by LostFoam » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Greetings.

In a nutshell: 1990 B230F; rotting drainback hose and periodic crankcase ventilation system maintenance time. Quite thoroughly finished with this particular system, which seems to have been designed by the Devil himself.

Want to pull the drainback tube once and for all, cap off and seal the block where it all bolts down, and run a breather filter off the valve cover. Anyone out there done this with good results?

Alternatively, would be quite willing to replace the whole stupid mess with a proper PCV system (as a retrofit) if an aftermarket kit or some savvy with a few off-the-shelf parts is around.

Ideas, issues, input???

Thanks again --

lummert
Year and Model: 760 1988
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
lummert

Re: B230F "Proper" Crankase Ventilation Retrofit

Post by lummert » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:00 pm

I have done something similar to this on my 1988 Volvo 760 with B230FT. I installed a breather filter on top of the valve cover as you suggested. I then installed a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo PCV valve (13 mm inlet x 10 mm outlet) into the hose that comes from the block mounted oil separator and connected the 10 mm nipple on the PCV valve to a 3/8 inch nipple on the intake manifold. These 3/8 inch nipples have 1/8 inch pipe thread with very small hole and are usually connected to the climate control. I drilled the nipple out a bit to the size usually found in a 3/16 inch nipple. I also plugged the hose fitting at the turbo inlet hose that normally connects to the oil separator.

I later moved the breather filter to the inner fender (strut tower) and connected a hose to a Chrysler oil breather mounted on the valve cover using the rubber grommet meant for the Chrysler breather cap. This Chrysler breather cap is an oil/air separator with 1 inch inlet nipple and 5/8 inch outlet nipple. Any oil that collects in this Chrysler oil breather will drain back into the engine. My engine has 318,000 miles.
These users thanked the author lummert for the post:
LostFoam
1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon

LostFoam
United States of America
LostFoam

Post by LostFoam » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Thank you, lummert, for your great input! Awesome insights... Also, sorry it took a few days to get back; but "life happens."

I've been figuring something out using a remote catch bottle which might allow me to get that wretched drainback hose out of the crankcase for good. That's near the center of the issue for me; as this item is not made of a suitable fluoropolymer-based material, and, therefore, it simply rots in a hot engine's oil. More Volvo mischief to require ongoing slavery to the Beast or suffer the consequences :wink:

Again, thanks for posting your thoughts/experiences: All tucked in "behind the ear." Hopefully I'll be able to come back with more stuff from my end soon.

Meantime, anyone else with ideas? Would be great to bring together the community's savvy to improve this one little corner of our cars...

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:36 pm

LostFoam wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:14 pm
Meantime, anyone else with ideas?
Rebuild engine, even a ring job....my 1984 B23F, with 50k miles now, has no blow-by issues, and I haven't touched the flame trap yet.

LostFoam
United States of America
LostFoam

Post by LostFoam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 am

@93Regina: Thanks for dropping by! No rebuild necessary -- all is well within operational spec at this end :wink:

FWIW in general, here's a link of relevant interest regarding what is not found in most production auto engines:

https://www.viton.com/en

Seals, tubing, lines, o-rings, anything put to service in a hot engine oil context should be made from this type of material. When properly implemented, finished items made of the substance do not generally fail unless physically lacerated. However, it costs more upfront than the usual rubbish which is widely used in its place.

That would be good news for us, but bad news for the automaker; as the cost increase per completed car as sold would be negligible, and the improvement to be realized from this one "good practice" implementation would be substantial.

After 40 years of dealing with this type of thing, I'm long since finished with the game these companies play with their oft-venerated "OEM specifications." Common sense and basic engineering principles show a strong light on mischief like the inclusion of a commodity elastomer hose within a 200+ degree internal crankcase setting!

So, here's to better things...

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 am

LostFoam wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 am
FWIW in general, here's a link of relevant interest regarding what is not found in most production auto engines:

https://www.viton.com/ens...
Wiki - Viton is a brand of FKM, a synthetic rubber and fluoropolymer elastomer commonly used in O-rings, chemical-resistant gloves, and other molded or extruded goods.

DuPont Performance Elastomers Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Viton® Fluoroelastomers

DuPont Technologies Jan 07, 2008

Date: 10/9/2007

This year, 2007, is the 50th anniversary of the commercialization of Viton® and the birth of the fluoroelastomers industry. Since the first commercial application of Viton® in the aerospace industry in 1957, fluoroelastomers (FKM) have made a major contribution to fluid sealing and containment in industries as diverse as aerospace and automotive, chemical, petrochemical, food and pharmaceutical processing, and construction. Fluoroelastomers now represent a global industry with total annual sales volume expected to reach an estimated 20 thousand tons in 2007.

========
4 Common Misconceptions About Viton or FKM Rubber
Our recommendation is to request Genuine Viton™ instead of just Viton™.
=========

Are your seals "Genuine Viton"?

LostFoam
United States of America
LostFoam

Post by LostFoam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 am

Are your seals "Genuine Viton"?
:lol:

Are virtually any of our original seals "Genuine Viton"?! If it rots, it's not; and that makes a difference in places like this drainback hose where a rotten part can mandate something like an oil pan removal operation for refitting...

Rear main and valve stem seals are a couple of other places where this type of periodic failure is a menace; but there, at least, aftermarket players are more and more offering the "right stuff."

But truly, we digress :wink:

lummert
Year and Model: 760 1988
United States of America
lummert

Post by lummert » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:18 am

Maybe find another location for a drain-back. I'm thinking the location on the block used for a block mounted distributor. Like mount a catch can above that location so that it can drain back into the block. Simple as locating a new expansion plug type seal and modify it to accept a fitting. Or locate a distributor housing and modify it to accept a fitting.
1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon

LostFoam
United States of America
LostFoam

Post by LostFoam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:38 am

More good ideas, lummert... Here's a possible link of interest in your figuring:

https://yoshifab.com/store/redblock-10a ... -vent.html

I thought they had a similar setup for the distributor hole, too; but I must've been mistaken.