IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Drain the intercooler

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Sun2car
Year and Model: 2000 S80 T6

Drain the intercooler

Post by Sun2car »

I suspect intercooler has oil in it after catastrophic turbo 2 failure, is there a way to drain the oil without taking it apart? this? Would appreciate any advice, put a lot of hours into this car and no end in sight, to having a daily driver.
2000 Volvo S80 T6
2015 Nissan Leaf
1981 BMW 528i
1997 Saab 900T
1995 Volvo 850T wagon
1988 Saab 900 SPG
1980 VW Vanagon Westphalia
1984 VW Jetta
1971 Datsun 240Z
1980 Puma GTE w/2.0L Porsche
CorpsOfficer
Year and Model: 2006 S80

Re: Drain the intercooler

Post by CorpsOfficer »

As far as I know, intercoolers never have drain access unless maybe if they are a water-to-air type.

I don't know how much oil your runaway turbo shot into the intake, but I would, in your place, simply not worry about it if disassembly is a concern (time, money, etc.) for you. In time, the oil will evaporate and mix with the intake air and ultimately be burned in the engine. This is, after all, how the PCV system works in these cars.

Sometimes, people replace the intercooler after a turbo failure because they are worried about metal bits from the exploded turbo making their way into the engine.

You know this turbo failure best. I would say these concerns are unwarranted, but I have not personally seen the damage that was done.
ndphotonl
Year and Model: 2001 S80 2.4T

Re: Drain the intercooler

Post by ndphotonl »

The intercooler should have a drain hole in the bottom right (if you stand in front of the car). I believe you are able to drain is using a 5mm hex key.
Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel