IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Getting close to Stage 0 - ETM issue and other questions - 99 s70 na m56

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

smacknab
Year and Model: 99 s70 NA Manual
United States of America
smacknab

Getting close to Stage 0 - ETM issue and other questions - 99 s70 na m56

Post by smacknab » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:04 am

Hello All,

Firstly, thank you to everyone for helping and educating me on the variety of issues i've been dealing with on my 99 s70 na m56. I bought this car cheap in September with the goal to learn how to fix my own vehicle and it has surely provided me with plenty of opportunity to do so. Just last summer all I had ever done was an oil change and swap an air filter, but by christmas I had done the head gasket (thanks to RSPI's DIY writeup, videos and help from the members on this site, especially Abscate). It's been quite the ride and one of the biggest things I've learned is when buying a 200k mile car is that if it isn't broken then its about to be. My hope is to get this thing in good reliable mechanical operation by May so it can be the shared daily driver for my fiance and I. If that sounds overly optimistic, i agree, but we live in an area where a car isn't necessary for us to get to our jobs, so continued wrenching beyond May isn't a deal breaker.

ETM Issue

So, a few weeks ago I had just finished the headgasket job and was basking in both the increased power of the the engine even bigger increase in the size of my ego, when my ETS light came on. A humbling experience indeed. During the headgasket job i had also cleaned the intake manifold, cleaned the throttle body and cleaned the MAF (each with the appropriate cleaners), so i expected the car to be running smooth. Before the job, I had previously noticed that sometimes when pulling to a stop in neutral the idle rpms hold at about 1100, or dip down to about 650 before leveling out after a complete stop. I didn't make too much of it but from my research on the volvo forums, I had read about the ETM issue and knew from service records that the car had atleast gotten the warranty software upgrade, but it seems like i'm at the beginning stages of the ETM failure.

My options as i understand them are: send it to Xemodex for rebuild for around $600, find a exact matching used unit (i'll have to follow up with my serial numbers) for around $100 or rebuild my own unit with this mysterious ARD tuning kit for around $200. I'd prefer to just swap it or rebuild it myself with the kit but the ARD tuning website seems sparse and the 70 series parts are listed as out of stock so my questions are:

-I read that there are up to 3 different ETM options for my car and even with matching product codes on a used unit, the ETM could still not be a match. is that true and does any one have experience swapping (or have a used unit) for a 99 non turbo?

-The ARD tuning website seems to be pretty sparse and the 70 series parts are listed as out of stock, is there any other way to rebuild my own ETM?

Further Issues

More urgently actually is my power steering pump is shaking and I'm getting noticeable idle dips when turning the wheel while at a stop. It's not enough to stall the engine at full lock, but i'd like to swap it ASAP as possible. Reading the threads here and checking parts sites, it seems like there is a Bosch unit on FCP for about $200, but most people just use used units. I'm finding used units listed for around $40 within a 20 mile radius. Does anyone have any strong opinions on which way to go? My thought is that the pump is accesible enough that if i have to swap it again in a year or 3 its not the end of the world, but i wanted to ask the experts. is the Bosch unit, or other aftermarket units, known to be good? I'm definitely not going with the $450 Volvo unit, but if there is a $100-150 unit that is known to be good for ~5 years i might do that.

The other is getting to a refresh of my suspension and steering system. I have a tie rod with some play, and the car can just generally be loud over bumps, so I was gonna replace both sets of inner and outer tie rods since it'll need an alignment anyway. My questions with this are: If I'm doing these, should I also do the control arms, sway bar end links, etc? are there brands to avoid for certain parts? I see people recommend lemfjorder for tie rods, but the inner is $110 each on fcp, while TRW is $30.
Also, should I wait until I'm ready to do shocks and struts before replacing other critical steering/suspension parts? Reading up on it, it seems like doing some without the others can just lead to increased wear.

As always, any and all thoughts or suggestions, or links to helpful threads are welcome.

After this critical stuff is sorted out, all thats left to get the car to stage zero is to clean the injectors and swap the ignition coil and wiring. Eventually I'll put the aC back in too.

TLDR:
-is there still any way to rebuild a ECM Throttle body? ARD tuning website seems dead.
-What would be the best or most certain way to match a used ETM throttle body?

-Suggestions on a used power steering pump vs aftermarket? anyone know if the Bosch unit on FCP is worth it?

-Any suggestions for non-lemforder/volvo inner tierods? FCP euro has TRW kits for $110/180 for both sides inner and outer, while one inner Lemforder goes for $110 alone.
-when doing tierods, ever worth it to do sway bar end links & control arms at the same time? Whats about struts?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Getting close to Stage 0 - ETM issue and other questions - 99 s70 na m56

Post by abscate » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:00 am

We have to get our junkyard people to harvest a few ETMs and keep some spares for diagnosis here on MVS

Option 4 - find a junkyard yellow label ETM from an accident car (which usually means ETM was running ok) and maybe a $150 software reload at Volvo.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

smacknab
United States of America
smacknab

Post by smacknab » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am

Is that to swap in to see which one would have the right software package that I need?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 am

Its about a 20% chance that a junkyard ETM will bolt in and work. For budget purposes, be ready to have to trip to Volvo and get a software load on a junkyard ETM.

The 1999 2000 NA ETM is the easiest one in the world to harvest so make some friends near Harrys iN PA and perhaps the RI PnP in Cumberland!

Danvers is pretty close to you, isnt it? Even in limp mode?

:D
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

smacknab
United States of America
smacknab

Post by smacknab » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:37 am

The Danvers Volvo guys know me pretty well. One of them exclusively owns s70's for him and his whole family.

So is the idea that I would pull a couple etm's and return the ones that dont plug and play? Or just make my best guess on one and if it doesn't work then pay Volvo to upload the software?

How about rebuilding it? I'm seeing module master has a kit for $125 and I have access to soldering tools.
https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/shop/ ... build-kit/

Thanks again for your help as always