IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2007 3.2L Water pump bearings feel "notchy"...ignore or replace?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
jerryv
Year and Model: 2007 XC90 3.2
United States of America
jerryv

Volvo Repair Database 2007 3.2L Water pump bearings feel "notchy"...ignore or replace?

Post by jerryv » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:42 pm

I'm way up in my 2007 XC90 3.2L w/123k miles on the ticker.
Replacing the drive belt, pulleys, and alternator decoupler after the idler pulley bearings catastrophically failed. I got the IPD belt kit and am either at the point of reassembly or opening another can o worms.

Spinning the water pump by hand, I don't feel any lateral play in the shaft or see any leakage, but rotating it does feel "notchy" (smooth, but like 6 or so defined "notches" through its rotation)

Is this a sign of bad bearings or just how it be after 123k miles and/or with coolant in the system?

I initially ordered a $100 chinese thermostat and water pump for the Landrover 3.2, figuring it would be good to replace those while I'm at it and that new chinesium is better than worn OEM...but it seems the consensus on forums such as these is that the OEM pump basically never fails before the ~200k lifetime of this vehicle. I'd be surprised if the rest of the car made it that long, so that works for me.

So now I'm at this dilemma:

-Do nothing. "If it aint broke..." and wrap up my belt job.
-Use my chinese waterpump+thermostat (was planning on returning and just doing the OEM t-stat soonish since the have a reputation of failing around this milage)
-Pony up the an OEM Volvo thermostat ($100) and waterpump ($150) which would obviously be the "right thing to do", but I'd rather not if the pump isn't likely to fail in the next 10k or so miles.

What would you advise, dear MVS user?

Thanks

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: 2007 3.2L Water pump bearings feel "notchy"...ignore or replace?

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:15 pm

I have no experience on that engine, but if you don't mind digging in, I would check the quality of the part. If it looks good, and came from a good reseller that still sells it put it in.

Relative to other similar water pumps - does it feel that far off? If not, leave the water pump - sounds like you give love to your car so you will know if there are issues.

jerryv
United States of America
jerryv

Post by jerryv » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 pm

The chinese part appears to be of acceptable quality and looks just like the OEM part.

A number of forum posts led me to belive that the only time these pumps ever fail is when someone like me installs a cheap aftermarket pump. Time will tell!

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:11 am

Replace the pump, common problem on the 3.2. It's the pump on the 2.5 engine that is very long lasting, not on the 3.2 (not the same design). BUT do not touch any chinese pump brand. Big warning on this - these are the ones that seize all of a sudden after 1-2 years. Yes, everything looks just like genuine, but it doesn't have a quality bearing. Even the chinese thermostat I wouldn't trust - the genuine one has plastic legs that break all of a sudden causing engine overheating (just the way it's designed causes this).
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/XC9 ... d=836&v=98
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/XC9 ... d=836&v=98

jerryv
United States of America
jerryv

Post by jerryv » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am

Orangex - Do you have anything to say about Rein brand for the thermostat? That what I have on the on the way. It was about half price of OEM and double price of Chinese...seems like a good tier considering the cars age.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm

I know Rein (which is part of CRP) are doing the later spring seats for Volvo (before it was Sachs). I believe they also make other genuine parts for european car makers - which usually is a good indicator (of course, there are always exceptions)