IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

V50 diesel starting problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
kimib
Year and Model: 2011 V50
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Finland
kimib

V50 diesel starting problem

Post by kimib » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:57 am

Any idea. When temperature goes below 0 and I use Webasto (or integrated fuel heating system - how it's called) it's really hard to start engine. When it stars it hardly takes not more than 300-400 RPM on idle. If and when engine do not stop until or during acceleration pedal is pressed to get RPM up to 2000 for a while problem is gone. Then it run fine with idle of 800-900 RPM.

No problems if webasto is used when outside temperature is over 0
No problems if webasto is not used when outside temperature is below 0

I did check on service ECU for errors, one information of low fuel pressure and it was stated that maybe empty tank together with webasto make it happen, but it is same with full tank. And it do not matter if webasto is still running or not when starting.Only common thing is webasto usage below 0 degrees.

Any idea what can cause this, some sensor issue? Volvo service had no idea and they start discussing of battery change but I think that is not the way to solve this.

Thanks for all hints.