IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Head Unit With DAB, GPS - first generation XC90 with premium sound

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
geirmeister
Year and Model: XC90 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Norway
geirmeister

Head Unit With DAB, GPS - first generation XC90 with premium sound

Post by geirmeister » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:59 pm

Hello,
I have this first generation XC90 with premium sound system, (6CD unit no AUX). The FM band is disappearing here in Norway, the RTI can't read the DVD and I'm running out of CDs, so it's time for an upgrade. However, I have not been able to find a suitable head unit. I want to pull out the RTI display and install the new unit there, so I can keep the CD changer and the MOST. So I am looking for a (not too expensive) solution with DAB, GPS, CANbus and the usual Android features. Most of the things I have found on the net lack some desired features and forum posts seem to be several years old.
Any useful experience/ideas are welcome :)

Geir
Last edited by matthew1 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title. Please, no "ALL CAPS"s in titles.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Head Unit With DAB, GPS - first generation XC90 with premium sound

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:27 pm

I will tell you what little I know on upgrading the early XC90 sound system based on research I did before I decided to scrap the idea and give the car to my sister - less than a year old information.

It is unclear if the entire unit can be removed in its entirety and a specific module purchased to replace what Volvo designed into the system. I read some talk in this direction, but it was not conclusive. What I did conclude as a working solution is keeping the display, but mounting it internally. Apparently it is needed b/c it is part of the system. Utilizing a correct wiring harness almost any deck can be fitted. You would lose the 6 CD changer (which takes up most of the double din space as the display is actually rather small), but would gain all sorts of current/modern functionality options - blue tooth, hands-free, streaming, maybe TV in your area, back up camera, front camera, GPS ... - this would depend on what kind of unit you purchase. You can put in a single or double din - it is your choice.

Basically if you keep the display (tuck it away in the radio cavity), buy or make the correct harness any unit can be fitted.

There are videos on it if you look.