IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2007 XC70 does not start in cold temperature (battery is good)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

dwwalker
Year and Model: S40 2001

Re: 2007 XC70 does not start in cold temperature (battery is good)

Post by dwwalker »

I had my ECM sent out and tested by XeMODex. They even put it in the freezer and everything tested fine.
Did you try turning on the ignition, disconnecting the battery and then starting? It worked on mine but it may not be the answer for yours.
GabrieS
Year and Model: 2007 XC70

Post by GabrieS »

Sorry...I was busy with the other tests and with taking the battery to Parts Source to have it tested...and I forgot. By the time I came back home it was already warmer outside...about -4 degrees.
Now I have to wait for the next cold night for the test to have any meaning.
At least I ruled out the battery as a potential problem.
shiloh51933
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC

Post by shiloh51933 »

Check your EGR system, if your EGR system is really bad it's full of resin/carbon that will expand during extreme weather conditions. This could possibly block passage ways and it's rare but I've seen a no start condition in extreme cold weather because of this issue. I actually heated up the area with a heat gun and got the vehicle to start. The vehicle was a Honda but I'm basing this suggestion on same concept.
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!
GabrieS

Post by GabrieS »

I have performed the test with the key in position 2 and disconnecting the battery negative suggested by dwwalker.
Watch me do this test and the Schrader valve test in the video below.

The test did not make any difference in my case.
The car still does not start in cold weather.
I will test all suggestions one by one...and the EGR system is now on my list of things to check (thank you for your suggestion shiloh51933).
shiloh51933

Post by shiloh51933 »

GabrieS wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm I have performed the test with the key in position 2 and disconnecting the battery negative suggested by dwwalker.
Watch me do this test and the Schrader valve test in the video below.

The test did not make any difference in my case.
The car still does not start in cold weather.
I will test all suggestions one by one...and the EGR system is now on my list of things to check (thank you for your suggestion shiloh51933).
After watching this video I'm even more convinced that your EGR system is really clogged. I'm sure your PCV breather system is clogged also. If you own a heat gun you can try this simple test. Manually heat up the EGR system area, PCV system area and Intake Manifold area. A factory block heater would work best but I'm assuming your XC70 doesn't have a factory block heater. Anyway, use your heat gun to really warm everything up and then check the temperature on your dash cluster by turning your key on. Once you get the temperature to above freezing, 50/60° if possible, then if that's accomplished I would check your battery voltage to make sure it's good to start cranking her over. If the voltage looks good go ahead and start her up. If start up is successful then you need to totally clean out your EGR system and better yet clean out your PCV system. Replace anything simple like vacuum hoses or check valves. The EGR Valve can be cleaned then it should be tested and replaced if it fails.
GabrieS

Post by GabrieS »

Thank you for the suggestion. Before I look into that, I have to say that I did a quick Google search for "2007 XC70 EGR valve location" and "2007 XC70 EGR valve cleaning" and there is no clear result to show where it is located. There are many results for Volvo diesel engine EGR valve cleaning but my engine is not a diesel...it is a gas engine.
If you can point me to an image on the internet of the location of said valve I would be grateful.
Thanks you
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

I’m not sure a 2007 has EGR, I don’t think it does. With VVT, emissions can be managed by Changing valve timing.

I thought both SAS and EGR died with VVT in the late P80 era
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

There is a running thread on fuel pump control module (PEM ) sensitivity to cold Temperatures.

The diagnostic path would be to closely monitor the fuel pump pressure during cold and warm cycles.

Less secure path would be to heat gun the PEM during the cold cycle to see if it solves no- start
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
shiloh51933

Post by shiloh51933 »

abscate wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:00 am I’m not sure a 2007 has EGR, I don’t think it does. With VVT, emissions can be managed by Changing valve timing.

I thought both SAS and EGR died with VVT in the late P80 era
I think your right about secondary air system and EGR system's for non diesel but what about the PCV systems on a 2007 XC70?
I mean it sounds like he's getting fuel and spark...so I'm thinking air.
GabrieS

Post by GabrieS »

Keeping in mind that I am not a mechanic, I would like to understand how the PCV system could be the cause for my issue of no start in cold weather. Please correct me if I am wrong: the purpose of a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system is to reduce air pollution by sending the crankcase gases back to the combustion chamber, in order to reduce air pollution.
I am not saying the thing is not potentially clogged. I would like to understand however...how that would cause my engine to not start at all during cold weather...and work just fine during warm weather.
The gas, spark, and air mix needed in the combustion engine means injectors are getting the gas and spraying properly, coils, wires, and spark plugs are in working order, and air throttle is opening properly. I think the injectors are working properly (from a mechanical point of view) as proven by the engine eventually starting and running fine and balanced (no shaking or misfires), The same logic applies to the coils, wires, and spark plugs. And last...I already have the air throttle on my list of tests to do. If any of the above are thrown off by the electronics involved in modern engines that could be an issue in my mind. But, from a mechanical aspect, the fact that the engine starts and runs fine in warmer weather, proves these components are fine (pending verification of the air throttle to rule out all three components needed in the mix).
I would like to repeat that I am on this forum to avoid replacing parts or doing costly repairs just to see if the issue will go away. And when I researched how to clean/replace the PCV system on this car I found the video below which shows it to be quite a lengthy and costly repair by the looks of it. I can do this repair myself but I am not looking forward to do that just to see if the engine will start in clod weather.

If you explain it to me and it makes sense that this could be my issue I will venture to do this repair.
Thanks