IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Car Will Only Run with MAF Unplugged

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
ChipmunkPizza
Year and Model: 2001 S80
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ChipmunkPizza

Car Will Only Run with MAF Unplugged

Post by ChipmunkPizza » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:17 pm

I posted previously on here about a crank/no-start issue that was remedied by unplugging the MAF. This led me to believe that the MAF was at fault, so I purchased and installed a new Bosch MAF from ipd. Unfortunately, this did not fix my issue and the car still won’t start with the MAF plugged in. With the MAF unplugged, the car will start and run, but very poorly. It’s smoking excessively, despite a compression test indicating properly functioning rings (150 psi per cylinder). If I plug the MAF in while the car is running, it will eventually die and not start up again. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Car Will Only Run with MAF Unplugged

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:14 pm

ChimpmunkPizza - sounds like you have a wiring short somewhere. If you have a VOM you can do some testing starting with the harness and going back to the fuse box. Also check your O2 sensors for short to ground.