IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Rough idle. Jerks. Gas smell

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Cornballsphere
Year and Model: 2006 Volvo v70 2.5t

Rough idle. Jerks. Gas smell

Post by Cornballsphere »

Hello I'm new to the forums and I've seen some similar to my problem but I thought I would throw mine out here anyways. I have a 2006 Volvo V70 2.5 t it's rough at idle sometimes the mass airflow sensor code is coming up and it says that it's running lean. I cannot figure out what it is I put a new mass air flow sensor on it and a new pem fuel pump control module. But it's still doing it and I cannot figure out what it is. I've done the glove test on the vehicle and it inflates a little bit not much at all. I'm hoping somebody can lead me in the right direction because the car still runs and drives fine at normal speeds it just has trouble at idle but not all the time though it just happens every once in awhile any help would be greatly appreciated.
highmiles
Year and Model: 2001 S60 T5

Re: Rough idle. Jerks. Gas smell

Post by highmiles »

Does the car continue to show codes? If you are reading them using VIDA (the Volvo software,) or other reader, post the codes. One suspect would be the ETM (electronic throttle module,) but that would throw a code at some point if the parameters get too far off. Is you coolant temperature gauge working and it is steady? The car uses this input to change engine conditions.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Indeed, later ETM also had problems. Also look around for vacuum leaks. Look at the large rubber hose after the air filter, pinch it everywhere look for a crack, all smaller hoses around too. Also need to use a good brand of MAF, I think it's Bosch on the turbo eng. Also look at the wires near connectors. May as well check the spark plugs and coils. For coils, undo one fuel injector connector at a time, and see if there's one where the engine doesn't show any change when disconnected (a good coil will drop slightly the idle when its injector is disconnected). Do you know if the PCV was already done ? If so, may want to look closely at the injectors for any leak. Also look at the wires to the coolant temp sensor near the thermostat
E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto

Post by E Showell »

Except for rough idle, sounds like some of my friends.
'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (sold)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic
'95 855 auto (sold)
'86 245 manual (sold)
'05 V70 T5 M (totalled)
'06 V70 FWD Auto (totalled)
Cornballsphere

Post by Cornballsphere »

Yeah the engine temperature gauge is working normally and when I clear the code off of the vehicle it only comes back on when it starts to jerk at idle but the only code that it throws is the mass airflow sensor code.
Cornballsphere

Post by Cornballsphere »

I will look for hose leaks very soon. And spark plugs and coils
highmiles
Year and Model: 2001 S60 T5

Post by highmiles »

Since the MAF code persists, maybe double check the electrical connector to make sure there are not any bent or broken pins? I suspect there might be some electrical tester trouble shooting that can be done. I assume the MAF gets fed 12V?
With the engine running try spraying some starter fluid around hoses to see if you get any RPM change indicating the source of a vacuum leak?