IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Prone to drone..

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Sveedy
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo

Prone to drone..

Post by Sveedy »

Morning all,
So as the title suggests, which of the after market exhaust systems is the least likely to drone at highway speeds ? This car is driven mostly on highways w/ 75 mph speed limits, which I NEVER exceed :wink:, and I'd like to keep the little bit of hearing I still have. I don't know if a boost in performance is worth that long term droning...
Also don't want it sounding like one of those fart-can systems you see/hear on Hondas etc.. The ipd system looks good but the video they post leads me to think it might be a bit loud over a long drive at constant speed.

Any thoughts, anytime,

Thanks !
Try to learn life's bad lessons vicariously through others.
Sveedy

Re: Prone to drone..

Post by Sveedy »

And a very important side note - I'd like to keep my oval tail pipe tip.
ToriWhite
Year and Model: 1996 850

Post by ToriWhite »

Good idea is to try and flesh out what the droning is coming from - Does it kick in with boost? Probably to do with the boost system; Does it rise / fall in line with RPM? Probably to do with the engine, Does it rise / fall with speed, independent of RPM (same speed in different gears)? Gotta be something between the transmission and engine. Thats how I've been troubleshooting, at least!
Clemens
Year and Model: 96 855 R + 94 855 T5

Post by Clemens »

you are most certainly getting a drone in the 2000-3000 rpm range, no matter what. It just depends on how loud it gets. I went for the most silent TME exhaust which is certified by TÜV to be 1db quieter than the stock exhaust while having 70% less backpressure. at idle it is super quiet, at full throttle you notice no difference, but city highways in the 50-60 mph range are annoying. Doing some research results that most sport exhaust drone in that speed and rpm range. if you have a stick, you can drive around it. if not, you just have to turn up the stereo or ignore it.
if I were to do it again, I wouldn't get a sport exhaust.

Btw., reading through forums and gathering information before I bought mine, I read the OBX units are said to be super drony, the IPD is loud as well, the Ferrita and BSR are loud.
Summer: 1996 855 R
Winter: 1994 855 T5M
Donor: 1995 854 10V
Sveedy

Post by Sveedy »

Clemens wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm you are most certainly getting a drone in the 2000-3000 rpm range, no matter what. It just depends on how loud it gets. I went for the most silent TME exhaust which is certified by TÜV to be 1db quieter than the stock exhaust while having 70% less backpressure. at idle it is super quiet, at full throttle you notice no difference, but city highways in the 50-60 mph range are annoying. Doing some research results that most sport exhaust drone in that speed and rpm range. if you have a stick, you can drive around it. if not, you just have to turn up the stereo or ignore it.
if I were to do it again, I wouldn't get a sport exhaust.

Btw., reading through forums and gathering information before I bought mine, I read the OBX units are said to be super drony, the IPD is loud as well, the Ferrita and BSR are loud.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. If there is no real way to get around it then maybe I'll just try the downpipe and leave the rest of the system stock.
Clemens
Year and Model: 96 855 R + 94 855 T5

Post by Clemens »

This was strongly adviced not to do to me by a guy who should know, maybe it was Lucky from ardideas.

As far as I remember the larger dp would get heat to the cat quicker, but the restrictive stock exhaust would trap the heat near the cat, thereby ruining it quickly.

Unfortunately a sport exhaust seems to be about the first step when tuning a car, some even refer to it as Stage 0.5

One word though on the TME exhaust: I got used to it, I really like the high build quality and how the turbo spools up faster and the breathes freer. I just try to use my 94 T5M or my VW Eurovan/Multivan for city highway cruising.
Summer: 1996 855 R
Winter: 1994 855 T5M
Donor: 1995 854 10V
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Clemens wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:38 am This was strongly adviced not to do to me by a guy who should know, maybe it was Lucky from ardideas.

As far as I remember the larger dp would get heat to the cat quicker, but the restrictive stock exhaust would trap the heat near the cat, thereby ruining it quickly.

Unfortunately a sport exhaust seems to be about the first step when tuning a car, some even refer to it as Stage 0.5

One word though on the TME exhaust: I got used to it, I really like the high build quality and how the turbo spools up faster and the breathes freer. I just try to use my 94 T5M or my VW Eurovan/Multivan for city highway cruising.
I’ll pm you on the TME exhaust FOR THE T4 , Clemens
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Sveedy

Post by Sveedy »

Well I guess that kills that idea. I guess I'll keep her stock. Don't know if a custom exhaust system using larger piping but keeping the muffler and resonator would work. Like I said most,if not all, is highway driving so the drone is a deal killer for me.

Thanks for that valuable info !