IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Reduced Engine Performance

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

earthworm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
earthworm

Reduced Engine Performance

Post by earthworm » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:08 pm

We (Volvo and I) are suffering from ''reduced engine performance'' , sporadically. Once in a lifetime is enough! The ONE thing she does not do is stall. The power drops suddenly from 100% to about 10% - extremely dangerous, needless to say.. This occurs at highway speed, this time, going up a slight hill on I83. no other ''warnings'' other than "service required'' ... I do all my own work - dealers cannot be trusted here in York County, PA.
2003 Volvo S60, T, 5, AWD, 140K on the clock
Otherwise the car and the engine is clean, powerful and fairly easy on gas ..

Navservice
Year and Model: 2000 V40
United States of America
Navservice

Re: Reduced Engine Performance

Post by Navservice » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 am

I found, a while back, that a $20 ELM 27 (I think) OBD2/Bluetooth adapter was worth it's weight in gold. I use Torque Pro on my Android phone to communicate with it. Frequently, especially on trips, I leave it running while I drive so I can have more meaningful displays available to me. Or course, it will also notify me verbally if any codes pop up and will allow me to try to clear them. If your problem is intermittent and only shows up while you're driving, I'd suggest you do the same. When I installed Torque it was one of the few apps available for OBD2. The guy that wrote it continually improves it and I doubt he's getting rich from it. That's why I paid the equivalent of a couple beers and got the "Pro" version.