IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Any known procedure to refill hydraulic lift gate pump? 2010 XC60

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
aaronlife
Year and Model: 2010 Volvo XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
aaronlife

Any known procedure to refill hydraulic lift gate pump? 2010 XC60

Post by aaronlife » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 pm

My lift gate was going up, but not staying up, it would slowly go back down, or come down quickly if I pressed the button.

I replaced the passenger side gas strut, no luck. I replaced the $300 hydraulic strut, and it still falls, but more slowly. I did find a bad o-ring upon removal (it started to leak when I loosened the clamp that holds the hoses in place) and I replaced that with one that came on an insert in the new strut (used to seal it).

Now, it still falls, but more slowly, especially when it gets about 50% of the way down, it almost seems like it will stay up, but it doesn't.

I did lose some fluid during the change-over of old to new struts, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to re-fill the pump?

Since the pump is $650+, I'd rather not go replacing that yet. Any known way to repair the pump if that's the cause?

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Any known procedure to refill hydraulic lift gate pump? 2010 XC60

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Get the correct fluid, Volvo power steering fluid or Pentosin CHF 11S, and put in on of the old pump oilers. There is a plug on the pump once you get it out of the foam enclosure and you can remove it and put nozzle from pump oiler and fill that way.

aaronlife
Year and Model: 2010 Volvo XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
aaronlife

Re: Any known procedure to refill hydraulic lift gate pump? 2010 XC60

Post by aaronlife » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Gotcha, thanks. I found the volvo hydraulic pump fluid online, kinda pricey, I’ll check the alternatives.