IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

life expectancy of struts and shocks

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
rb61
Year and Model: 2001 s80
United States of America
rb61

life expectancy of struts and shocks

Post by rb61 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:51 pm

I have a 2001 S80 with 140k.
I purchased it used and do not know if these have been replaced.
This my first Volvo and I do not have a feel for a proper ride.
What is a good indicator for replacement?
Thanks

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5
United States of America
Cees Klumper

Re: life expectancy of struts and shocks

Post by Cees Klumper » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:33 pm

Standard test is to press each corner down sharply, then it should bounce back and settle at the ride height ('down-up') immediately without bouncing several times. Youtube probably has good videos that will show you. For piece of mind you could just replace with good quality new, including other suspension wear components.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:55 am

These struts still bounce very well but they get very stiff on poor pavement. Depends what 'proper ride' means. Is it too harsh - struts/shocks are the main culprit. Too soft and too much roll - worn sway bar bushings, very worn shocks. Steering too vague - worn sway bar bushings, worn subframe bushings, worn struts. If the ride is rather 'awkward' - bouncy, unstable, the shocks may have been replaced with cheap ones. Use a small mirror and look on the side of the front struts facing the engine, just under the bottom of the spring - the original struts may still have a yellow sticker with Volvo/Sachs on them

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:05 pm

There's no way struts aren't due for replacements at that milage if they're originals.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Replace the springs with the front struts. It made a world of difference in front height. Once you are sure the suspension is all tight and you still don't have that European feel than replace the tires with either the correct S80 tire the Michelin Primacy 4 which replaced the 3 or MXM4 original equipment tires. Or select tire made for the big Benz or BMW. BIG, not little sports models or Asian or American cars. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:35 pm

June wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:17 pm
Replace the springs with the front struts. It made a world of difference in front height. Once you are sure the suspension is all tight and you still don't have that European feel than replace the tires with either the correct S80 tire the Michelin Primacy 4 which replaced the 3 or MXM4 original equipment tires. Or select tire made for the big Benz or BMW. BIG, not little sports models or Asian or American cars. June
Well. If you avoid all season tyres, select a proper brand and stick to the correct load index and size they'll be correct for the size of car. Though I've also heard that on your end it's a good idea to select a tyre made for the European market or a sports tyre since the US regular tyres and substandard, soft and squishy. The Pilot Sport would fit that description.
These users thanked the author Rattnalle for the post:
June

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 pm

Rattnalle wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:35 pm
Well. If you avoid all season tyres, select a proper brand and stick to the correct load index and size they'll be correct for the size of car. Though I've also heard that on your end it's a good idea to select a tyre made for the European market or a sports tyre since the US regular tyres and substandard, soft and squishy. The Pilot Sport would fit that description.
Piot Sport sucks on S80! It must be a tire made for larger European cars not sport cars. Piot Sport on my S80 T6 turned it from a 7 seriesish feel with the right amount of American luxury to a clunky log wagon. The Piot Sport really suffers from flat spots after cooling overnight. I assume the 2 ton weight of the S80 is the cause. I didn't leave the Pilot Sport on for long it was that bad. Now the hot Florida weather may also be a factor. So if it's made for a BMW 3 series then, Lexus sport coupe or any other smaller sport car than no for the S80... MB S class, BMW 5 or 7 series, yes then as in original equipment tire for either. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 pm
Piot Sport sucks on S80! It must be a tire made for larger European cars not sport cars. Piot Sport on my S80 T6 turned it from a 7 seriesish feel with the right amount of American luxury to a clunky log wagon. The Piot Sport really suffers from flat spots after cooling overnight. I assume the 2 ton weight of the S80 is the cause. I didn't leave the Pilot Sport on for long it was that bad. Now the hot Florida weather may also be a factor. So if it's made for a BMW 3 series then, Lexus sport coupe or any other smaller sport car than no for the S80... MB S class, BMW 5 or 7 series, yes then as in original equipment tire for either. June
I think I meant to type Primacy. Though I have no personal experience of either. I've only used the 15" Michelin Energy Saver when I had a S80 and they were excellent for a comfortable ride on rough roads.

But regardless the S80 weighs only about 16-1700 kg. a lot less than a modern S class or 7 series. But comparable to the 5 series or E class, at least of reasonably similar age. Cars have gotten a lot heavier, the new Volvos are several hundred kgs heavier. I'm guessing most newer bimmers and mercs are as well.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 am

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 pm
Never take tire advice from women who turn the cars upside down to inspect the tires.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary