IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Cambelt tracking

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

caprighia22
Year and Model: 2001 V40
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
caprighia22

Cambelt tracking

Post by caprighia22 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi All
Great forum, glad I stumbled across it
I am in thr middle of a cambelt change on my 2001 2.0 petrol V40. Fitting a Conitech belt and INA tensioner and pulley. I didn't change the water pump (only done 85k) and I did the cheaters method on the belt ( no locking tools, slipped belt over harmonic damper pulley)

I got everything lined up perfectly in center of all pulleys and the tensioner, set the mechanical tensioner as per procedure , barred engine over. But as soon as I fire the engine the belt walks from the centre of the cam sprocket and tensioner to the rear. The old one ran in the centres. I had the belt off 4 times, and redid tension another 5 or 6 time. Every time the same, belt walks to the rear of the sprockets. I put the old tensioner back on as was a little concerned with new one as its a bit sticky/jerky when setting but same thing happens with old one.

Done a fair bit of searching online and seen a few people mention something similar but not seen anything which resolved it
Any suggestions, its driving me mad !
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.