IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

'04 V70R ABS/Anti-Skid and Brake Assist Service [Loose Axle Bolt] Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

dmechnic
Year and Model: 2004 V70 R
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dmechnic

'04 V70R ABS/Anti-Skid and Brake Assist Service [Loose Axle Bolt]  Topic is solved

Post by dmechnic » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Thanks again to those who helped with my '98 V70 T5 issues. Of course, work on one, the other feels ignored and get jealous. So now its my baby, my '04 V70R AWD...and it is being a brat. So the past week or so every once in a while the ABS light would come on (maybe 3-4 times) and then go away. It was accompanied by ABS/Anti-skid and Chassis Service messages which also went away. Today it it came on and has not gone away and is giving ABS/Anti-skid Service & Brake Assist Service needed. On 2 separate occasions (both times in parking lots) it backed up fine, put it into drive, started to go forward a bit then needed to stop, and when I started accelerating again it rev'd up with next to zero acceleration to speak of and the traction control warning triangle flashed...it was like I was on a sheet of ice. As soon as the warning triangle stopped flashing it started to drive normal and had the same ABS light & service messages. Last time I had it out, same kind of "slipping" after backing out of the driveway and putting it in drive but resolved immediately. Got to where I was headed and shut it off and when we came out we again had to back out of a driveway. No issues in reverse (ABS light on the entire time), got into the street and put it in drive and it did the same slipping/flashing warning triangle. We were about 50 ft from the corner so no real driving done at first. We pulled out onto the main street and the car accelerated, though I can't recall if it seemed appropriate for the amount of pedal I was giving it. What it didn't do was shift, it just kept revving up higher and higher, refusing to shift into 2nd. Finally it shifts but then it has next to ZERO acceleration. I put my foot into it and it seemed to just barely try to go anywhere. My passenger then tells me to check out my speedometer. It's reading about 22mph and appears frozen, not fluctuating/changing at all...and we are going at least twice that. I let up on the throttle and suddenly it decides "Ok, let's go" and the speedo jumps up to what we are doing and the pedal response is back. So WTH???

Looked around a bit and saw suggestions about loose drive shafts (thought that one included a loud noise during a 1-2 shift, none of that here) and the brake position sensor in front of the brake booster. I put my scanner on it and most of the codes came back as undefined (new reader that I haven't flashed yet):
0101 - Communication between control units, comm problems w ECM
FFFF - Undefined
FF01 - Undefined
4800 - Undefined
01EE - Undefined

So looking for anything that might help. (Lemme guess, flash the scanner) If anyone has a solid idea of what this is what kind of $$$ am I looking at. Fixing cars is starting to get a little old.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: '04 V70R ABS/Anti-Skid and Brake Assist Service

Post by oragex » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 am

Also read about reluctor rings, BCM (ABS unit controller failure), clockspring sensor, yaw sensor, DEM module (not all necessarily related but worth a check while there)
Yours being a 2004 I would also inspect the CEM for any water leaks (not related but good a check)
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
dmechnic

dmechnic
United States of America
dmechnic

Post by dmechnic » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am

oragex wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 am
Also read about reluctor rings, BCM (ABS unit controller failure), clockspring sensor, yaw sensor, DEM module (not all necessarily related but worth a check while there)
Yours being a 2004 I would also inspect the CEM for any water leaks (not related but good a check)
Thanks...though not reassuring

I know about the BCM...my '98 has a bum one that I tried to do the fix on myself (crack the housing, re-establish all solder joints by the connectors, reseal). Kinda works...sometimes throws a light, sometimes it's fine. All the rest will require learning.

dmechnic
United States of America
dmechnic

Post by dmechnic » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Fixed...when I pulled the driver side front tire off out fell the axle bolt. Go figure. Put that back and all is good.