IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Has anyone rebuilt an AOC pump with the kit from Russia??

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

capnjim
Year and Model: 2006 xc70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
capnjim

Has anyone rebuilt an AOC pump with the kit from Russia??

Post by capnjim » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:40 am

Hi there, so I finally got almost everything working on my '06 XC70.
ABS ringed, fairly cheap easy job.
The only codes I have are the alarm, park assist, and I changed the front shocks so I get that code as well.
This weekend I had the pump replaced. I have a friend who works on Volvo's and he had a used pump.
AWD is now working! Yay!
It makes for such a fun ride in the snow as opposed to spinning the front wheel.

He did say the pump was old and might not last long.
But, I have the original pump which is dead.
Rather than buy a new one, I was thinking about getting this kit and rebuilding the original, that way I will have a working pump in case this one fails.
Has anyone tried these kits from Russia?
Cheers

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HALDEX-AOC-Pump ... wR&vxp=mtr

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Re: Has anyone rebuilt an AOC pump with the kit from Russia??

Post by - Pete - » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm of the same mindset - take my old pumps & rebuild for the next time one fails.

I have not yet rebuilt a pump, but I went with the (2) kits from Latvia. I chose them because I've purchased from them before & they are very informative & share all the info/specs about their parts. Also, they have their parts listed as being "Haldex" branded parts. The Russian one looks like it'd take quite a while to ship.

If I end up doing the rebuild I'll post my findings. If I get into it & feel my hand is better off staying out of it, I may give the rebuild kit & old pump to a guy I know that rebuilds DC motors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Haldex-AOC-Gen ... SwBOFbolsd

I was tempted by the Dorman pump a while back due to it's attractive pricepoint & the fact it came with a liter of AOC fluid & 10 year warranty, but in the end I did Genuine Volvo for $300ish after taxes.

Edit: VTL and or XC70Rider have both talked about rebuilding the DEM pumps, maybe one of them has done the rebuild & will chime in.
2001 V70XC 146k
2004 V70 AWD 139k
2004 V70R M66 143k
2004 XC70 283k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:54 pm

I would only add that before buying any kit you have to check your current pump to make sure the actual windings are not bad. You can replace all the parts included in the kit, but if the windings are bad the pump will not work. A simple VOM check is all that is needed of the windings. Low ohms - not open and not shorted. It will need to be opened up to do this.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
- Pete -

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:47 pm

Have you had a chance to fiddle around with a DEM pump?

What I read time & again is that the brushes wear out eventually & that is the most common cause of DEM pump failure. Are the brushes wearing out because the bearings have been worn down? Seems brushes are a more likely cause of death vs windings, but like you say windings are an absolute possibility & something to consider prior to shelling out bucks.

I do not have cursory knowledge of failing DC motor symptoms, nor cures, for the record.
2001 V70XC 146k
2004 V70 AWD 139k
2004 V70R M66 143k
2004 XC70 283k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:42 pm

Pete: I don't disagree at all that the brushes are what usually fail. The commutator is also a wear point, the linked kit has a replacement for this in the picture. No I have not dismantled a DEM pump. I have swapped them out.

Regardless - it is only smart to test the windings before proceeding with a rebuild. As one has to dismantle the motor either way the extra few minutes needed to check the windings makes sense, especially if the brushes and commutator look okay.

Brushes are a wear item and in most electric brushed motors are made to be replaced.

The linked kit has new bearings per the linked picture. Again, like all bearings relying on internal grease, the grease dries up or gets contaminated and the motor seizes (which could burn the windings).

capnjim
Year and Model: 2006 xc70
Been thanked: 0
Canada
capnjim

Post by capnjim » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 am

Thanks guys, I plan on taking the old pump apart before buying anything. I'll check the windings with a multimeter. Low ohms, like a few hundred or a few but not zero?
Cheers