IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

04 Volvo XC90 6 Cylinder Stalls While Driving and Idling

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
MRScott
Year and Model: 04.5,05,06,2011
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
MRScott

Re: 04 Volvo XC90 6 Cylinder Stalls While Driving and Idling

Post by MRScott » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:56 pm

I think you need to find out why the signal is at zero grams a sec. The motor will still run with a dirty MAF. It could be covered with oil and dirt and still run. The signal is dropping out and that's were you should be focusing your energy. Clean or dirty. it should have a signal
These users thanked the author MRScott for the post:
diydad

diydad
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
diydad

Post by diydad » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Here is the most recent thing I have noticed after clearing the code. I am only getting signal when the motor is cold. Just shut her off and I am going to run the tuner once again after cool down to see if the MAF functions. Have had varying times that the MAF is functional from 7 min up to 20 min.. The common denominator I have noticed so far is that it cuts out around the time the engine warms up to operating temp. I am going to run a continuity test on the wires in order to see if a short does exist but I have checked them once already. Could this be heat related or maybe a malfunction with the computer?

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:12 pm

diydad wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 am
No DTC’s but the P0102 did pop back up.
ECM-121D (P0102) Mass air flow (MAF) sensor. Signal too low

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information ECM-121D

Condition
The engine control module (ECM) calculates the expected mass air flow. The calculation is based on a number of different parameters. The calculated value for mass air flow is then compared with the measured value from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor.
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the engine control module (ECM) detects that the value for the measured air mass is lower than the calculated value for air mass.
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) can be diagnosed when the engine is running.

Substitute value
  • Calculated boost pressure
    Calculated air mass
    Rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) control shut off
    Misfire diagnostic shut off.
Possible source
  • Air leakage in the intake system
    Contact resistance in the mass air flow (MAF) sensor connectors
    Short-circuit to ground in the signal cable
    Open-circuit in the signal cable
    Open-circuit in the power supply

Damaged mass air flow (MAF) sensor.
Fault symptoms
Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit
Poor performance.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
diydad
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm

diydad wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 pm
The common denominator I have noticed so far is that it cuts out around the time the engine warms up to operating temp.
Metal expands when it warms up. Hum .. Electrical connectors marginally loose when cold loosen up and lose contact when warmed up? It would not be the first time tightening the metal contacts in a electrical connector did the trick.
2020-01-30.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
diydad
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

diydad
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
diydad

Post by diydad » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 am

Thanks guys for all the great advice! I am happy to say that the issue is finally resolved. After I retraced all the wiring and tested, I still could find no fault in the wiring or the connectors. After process of elimination I decided that it was worth a shot to put in a an oem MAF Sensor. Bosch sensor came in yesterday and after it was installed the motor ran perfectly. It has run perfectly without stalling issues since then. Note to self: NEVER put an aftermarket MAF Sensor in this vehicle. I thought that I would get a reputable part from Oreilly Auto Parts and they sell a MAF by a company named Blue Streak (JUNK). Tried multiple times to call Blue Streak to as questions about the design of the product. Never received a return call or any explanation as to how their MAF sensors work. Hopefully this helps someone who is banging their head against the wall with same problem. Go OEM