IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC70 Rear Washer Nozzle Movement

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Skymongrel
Year and Model: XC70 2006
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Skymongrel

XC70 Rear Washer Nozzle Movement

Post by Skymongrel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 am

From what I've gathered on this site many folks have broken their rear washer nozzles while trying to replace their rear wiper arm. On my 2006 XC70 I did too!

I was able to remove the residual plastic from the washer tube and reinstall the new nozzle. I've posted some pictures. But I have questions regarding the operation of the washer nozzle. My nozzle rotates with the wiper arm. It sprays most of the rear window and some of the hatch! Is it suppose to do this?

I've gotten one response from a PM query that suggests this is not normal. What did I do wrong? Is the nozzle set too firmly against the end of the washer tube. I'd re-seat it to see but I'm worried I'll break it so thought I'd ask first.

I can almost envision how it can work the way it is but I'd have to re-seat the nozzle and realign the jets. BTW I installed the nozzle with the flat part parallel to the wiper arm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: XC70 Rear Washer Nozzle Movement

Post by Rattnalle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:40 am

Does the brass tube rotate with the axle when the wiper moves? It shouldn't so if it does it's probably siezed. Not too uncommon except it usually kills the plastic cogs and stops the arm moving.

Skymongrel
Year and Model: XC70 2006
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Skymongrel

Post by Skymongrel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:06 pm

Yes, the brass tube rotates with the arm. I tried to loosen it and buggered up the end of the brass tube. So I filed and sanded it smooth again and reinstalled the nozzle. Maybe it will free itself but for now I have a moving rear washer nozzle.

I removed the tailgate panel to look inside. Everything is tidy and dry so I didn't mess with anything. I've seen a repair kit available for the brass tube and nozzle. Maybe I dig into it this summer.
Thank you for your advice!

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:55 pm

It's relatively easy to dismantle the entire motor assembly if you take it out of the car. A project for a rainy day.
These users thanked the author Rattnalle for the post:
Skymongrel