IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Inner CV

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

michaelunderway
Year and Model: 2000 v70xc
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
michaelunderway

Inner CV

Post by michaelunderway » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:14 pm

A few days ago I started getting a rattle clanking noise in the front drivers area. It is most noticeable when im going around 20-25 on bumpy roads. Today I jacked it all up and replaced the lower passenger motor mount since it was the last mount that i needed to replace and the sound is still there. I have already replaced the ball joints, end links, and shock seats. I removed the tire and checked all the components to make sure they are tight. Everything seems tight and all the bushings ( control arm, tie rod ends, etc..) seem ok. The only thing that seems off is maybe the inner CV joint. How much play is it supposed to have at the joint? It has a little in and out play from the differential and a few millimeters play in the inner CV joint itself? Could this cause that noise? I also notice that if I am driving 20 MPH on a smooth road and quickly jerk the wheel to the left the right, it will make the noise once? Would it be worth changing the axle shaft or should I be focusing on the shocks?
Thanks in Advance.

chris11211
Year and Model: 2006 s60
United States of America
chris11211

Re: Inner CV

Post by chris11211 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:30 pm

CV joints should be able to go the lifetime of the car unless the rubber broke and you have grease leaking all over.

You replaced all 5 motor mounts?

What do you mean by shock seats? Are you saying you disassembled the entire McPherson strut and replaced the top rubber mount? If so, did you compress the strut and find that it decompressed pretty quickly?

Inner cv joint is supposed to pump in and out while the outer is suppose to swivel 360 degrees. What do you mean "from the differential"? Which cv joint driver or pass?

Not sure what's worth changing atm, cv joints should always been in place by the diff, and it seems like there's no leaks. You may have to change the entire strut assembly if it hasn't been changed in X amount of years anyways.

michaelunderway
United States of America
michaelunderway

Post by michaelunderway » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:16 pm

It doesn't appear that the boot is ripped but there is quite a bit of play in the inner joint when the wheel is on and the car is on the ground. I have not replaced the front and back pneumatic mounts as they don't look bad. Yes I disassembled the McPherson strut and replaced the rubber seat. The strut mount bearing looked good so I just replaced the seat. The strut does not decompress quickly. I am getting the noise from the front driver side wheel well area. The CV joint by the diff ( inner) is the one with play but I would change both inner and outer.Is there any sort of bearing or connector inside the differential or is it just held in with a snap ring?

chris11211
Year and Model: 2006 s60
United States of America
chris11211

Post by chris11211 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Volvos engine mounts have a tendency to have all of the motor mounts wear out at around the same time, because the acorn mounts are smaller than when they are old, transmit more vibration, and they can be old enough to start leaking hydraulic fluid; I don't think this is your issue atm but it seems like something to replace eventually.

The cv's are held on by snap rings (at least the driver's side). You will know when a boot is breaking by having grease all over the well. The only play the inner should have is being able to be pumped in and out pretty easily, which means you could replace it if you want to, I just don't agree with changing the boot when you can get a whole new assembly and not worry about the whole thing. Maybe take a video?

If you had to replace that big rubber part that goes on top of the strut then a lot of other parts should've been replaced because "you're there", ex: the metal on top of the rubber that spins freely can get rusted and jammed. Hopefully your inspection deemed not needed.

Your struts should be able to recover pretty quickly; horizontally, it should be very fast. And it also should be a bit of a struggle to compress in the first place.

One thing you can do is to have the car go up on a ramp (have chalks for safety), have another person open the door to whatever side has the issue, and push down on the door as leverage while you go down next to it and see what's causing the ruckus.
You probably don't need a ramp, get someone do do it with the wheel deflected, and see if you can record or find out what's going on.

michaelunderway
United States of America
michaelunderway

Post by michaelunderway » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Today I removed the tire again and I put a jack under the spindle and when I jacked it up, I noticed the top of the end link would move up and when I lowered it it would drop. I tightened it and the noise is now gone. I tugged on the previously and they were right. I do have a new cv axle on the way so I guess I will just hold onto it.