IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

XC90 sudden loss of power steering after flush

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Xantiargh
Year and Model: 54 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Xantiargh

XC90 sudden loss of power steering after flush

Post by Xantiargh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi all
I think I've done something to cause a idiot issue on my power steering while performing a turkey baster flush. Hoping its something simple.

So, used turkey baster to syphon out to a bottle. I believe I put the same amount of fluid back in (fresh CHF11S). Took the care for a spin for 15-20 mins. Steering improved a bit.
Repeated the flush process. On starting the car there was a strange sound. Maybe a pop. caught me off guard so only half noticed it. The engine seems to cough and not start.
The car started second time no problem, but now I have no power steering, at any speed, any revs.
The serpentine belt is in place, the power steering pump wheel is spinning, the reservoir has fluid in. However even on full lock there is no pulsing feeling/feedback.

I'm guessing I've blown a seal or hose somewhere but not sure why the reservoir isn't empty or emptying?
Or have I blown the pump somehow?
Or something electrical?
D5 54'plate XC90.

Edit: No messages, no warning lights. Car drivable, if you have arms like He-man.

Edit2: Been out tracing the pipes looking for popped hoses/leaks. There is fluid around the steering oil cooler in front of the radiator, but surely that wouldn't cause a complete loss of power steering, would it? The leak doesn't seem bad enough to lower the level in the reservoir, though there does seem to be a far amount around the engine near the hose join to the cooler. Bottom joint to cooler.

Help!?
Thanks
Mike

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: XC90 sudden loss of power steering after flush

Post by oragex » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:14 am

54 plate is about a 2004 ?

Maybe you've dropped something inside the tank, which is blocking the suction pipe ? Does the pump make noise ? Try empty a little the reservoir, check the bottom with a pen, and maybe leave 2-3in of fluid, and see if there is fluid movement inside with the engine at idle.

You may also have the speed sensitive sensor on the rack, these do go bad, but I see no link with the fluid flush

Xantiargh
Year and Model: 54 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Xantiargh

Re: XC90 sudden loss of power steering after flush

Post by Xantiargh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am

Turns out the pump had died, new pump and fluid and steering is transformed. Better than it ever was in my ownership lifetime.
I tried to get a scrap pump but at the Volvo breakers yard I went to the steering pump was the part consistently removed under every bonnet in the yard. The pumps obviously go more often than some forums suggest.

Prior to blow out of pump steering was heavier at low revs, noisy at fully lock, and stiff in cold weather (almost like the steering lock had to be broken to get it moving). No noise or warning, just a popping noise and failure to start first turn of key when it went. After that steering was SUPER heavy all the time, all revs. Fluid in reservoir stayed stable, no loss. Hope that helps someone, cheers