IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Volvo alarm siren module issue

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

ionianp2
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo s60
United States of America
ionianp2

Volvo alarm siren module issue

Post by ionianp2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:45 am

Hi Everyone,

I hope all is well. I wanted to talk about the infamous Volvo alarm siren module problem. I've followed the many well written tutorials about hacking it open, cleaning the board and attaching a new 7.2V battery.

I even rotated it 180 degrees in case the new battery fails and leaks, to leak against the plastic and not the board.

It worked fine for over a year but recently has been triggering the alarm randomly again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find one with a good board? I would still put a new battery to it. It seems to be a catch-22 because you have to hack it open to determine if the board has suffered acid corrosion.

Has anyone thought of any creative ways to solve this issue?

I would love to hear people's thoughts; I don't want to pony up $250 for a brand new one that will end up eventually failing.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Volvo alarm siren module issue

Post by oragex » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:29 am

It's actually not difficult to hack it open - but you'll need to be very careful and use thick leather gloves - I opened mine quickly using a quality cutter - makes for a very clean and quick job. Of course, the blade must not go inside too much. For the battery, some people use chinese batteries, I've heard these last about 1 year because the actual amps is much lower than what's advertised (what a surprise for a chinese battery), so the battery goes bad quite fast. So I guess it's only the battery on yours, the board should still be fine.

ionianp2
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo s60
United States of America
ionianp2

Re: Volvo alarm siren module issue

Post by ionianp2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks for the tip Oragex (Peppermint). I will check the battery. This is the third siren module in the car. I already opened it and installed a new battery prior to replacing it.

I may extend the battery wires and see if I can put the battery in a container somewhere along the engine bay for easier access.

Any battery brands that people swear by? The one I purchased was an Exell...