IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New battery - lots of problems

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
MAXGOUGH
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MAXGOUGH

New battery - lots of problems

Post by MAXGOUGH » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:21 am

O'Reillys installed the proper size battery in my '06 XC90 2.5 (non-turbo). Now I have no turn signals, no rear window wiper, no cruise control, and a few other troubling losses. Took it to a mechanic who checked voltages and read OBD codes of several unrelated problems. I have tried disconnecting battery for up to 1 hr and held cables together to 'drain memory'. I have shut all the doors, pressed the brake pedal, turned the switch to this and that .... done everything but dance around the car naked. No change.

I thought the ECU would reset after a couple of days. It did after I replaced the Anti-Skid module several months ago. Nothing so far and it has been 3 days.

Is there a way to definitely reset the computer without going to a dealer?
Last edited by matthew1 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited Subject. Please, no "ALL CAPS"s. Read the rules.

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: New battery - lots of problems

Post by wanderdüne » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:35 pm

MAXGOUGH wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:21 am
O'Reillys installed the proper size battery in my '06 XC90 2.5 (non-turbo).

There is no non-turbo 2.5 '06 XC90 that I'm aware of??

Have you checked the fuses? https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manuals/ ... /om_id/507 Scroll down to index and click on fuses.

MAXGOUGH
United States of America
MAXGOUGH

Post by MAXGOUGH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:00 am

I checked fuses under the hood and in the rear compartment; all were good. Those were the only places I could see where fuses would affect the turn signals (according to the manual that came with the car). The emergency flashers and the brake lights all work; the front wipers work, but the setting to regulate frequency only produces the slower of the 2 standard speeds. Cruise doesn't work at all. Low beam headlights work, no high beam. Can't turn rear wiper on with switch, but works by itself in rain.

Aside from the ECU is there a single 'module' or component that would control these seemingly unrelated functions?

As for the turbo, I was told it was non-turbo and it does not have the high rev whine of a turbo. Aside from not knowing what's under my hood, would the aspiration of the engine have any impact on my problems?

MAXGOUGH
United States of America
MAXGOUGH

Post by MAXGOUGH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:38 am

Went to the fuse listings and found fuses for failed components in each panel. Tthe fuses for turn signals in cargo compartment were checked and found OK (also in circuit for brake lights which work).

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:51 am

While there, when reconnecting (and even when disconnecting) the battery keep the key in POS II to have the headlights on, it can help save the CCM thermistor. It's not related but good to know.

Have you tried locking unlocking the door 3 times with the fob ? If you want the computers to be reset, the battery must be disconnected all night - see my channel how to do this if you need to lock the doors. I don't think it will help your issues though

The issues you describe seem related to the stalks and controls on the steering wheel.

Some point out the SWM (Steering Wheel Module) https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80 ... work-8833/

Was it raining later days? Some CEM are exposed to water leakage - may take a look with a flash light under the dash
https://www.justanswer.com/volvo/94x0k- ... wiper.html

MAXGOUGH
United States of America
MAXGOUGH

Post by MAXGOUGH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:30 am

Wow! You are right. All the problems I'm having are controlled from the Steering column. Missed that completely.

Guess a trip to the dealer is in order; was hoping to be able to fix this myself, but at this point I am willing to pay to have it fixed.

Thanx

MAXGOUGH
United States of America
MAXGOUGH

Post by MAXGOUGH » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm

It was a fuse. I had checked fuses in the wiper circuit, etc. My son-in-law borrowed a Volvo OBD reader, hooked it up and nothing. Turns out there is a 5 amp fuse in the drivers side of the dash that was burned. Replaced it and now everything works. It was the fuse for the OBD plug/circuit or whatever. 2nd from the bottom of the panel. Now I owe him a steak; saved me a couple hundred bucks at the dealer.

BTW O'Reilly's and a local mechanic both hooked OBD readers up and got readings. The one my son-in-law borrowed apparently reads data from different pins. Hooda thunk it?