IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2005 XC90 2.5T Radiator Fan Removal

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
THolland
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
THolland

2005 XC90 2.5T Radiator Fan Removal

Post by THolland » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi All,

I need to replace the AC compressor on my 2005 XC90 2.5T. Based on some YouTube videos I have seen I am feeling that I can do this w/o removing the PS pump, alternator by removing the 4 AC compressor bolts (and AC lines from comp, that no longer has refrigerant in it) and sliding the assy back toward the airbox and pulling out from that angle. The problem is the radiator fan. I would like to be able to remove it to get the needed room, but only video I saw had the entire radiator needing to be dropped in order to get the fan off. I can see the 2 mounting bolts at the top of the fan assy holding it on, but am not certain I can get it off by simply removing those bolts and the other wiring and coolant overflow hoses from the assy. Is there a documented procedure to remove the rad fan assy w/o dropping the rad?

Thanks!

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2005 XC90 2.5T Radiator Fan Removal

Post by oragex » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:27 am

Do you know what is wrong with the compressor ? Some issues are rather related to the clutch. For the fan assy, it's very easy but you need to go slowly and check the harnesses nearby and also the upper transmission cooling line to the radiator (one with green clip, may need to slightly rotate it). Just cut all zip ties for harness, see if it's not hooked on the fan on the left side as well, toss them, unhook and toss gently the cooling hose, undo two upper bolts (don't overtighten when replacing), at the bottom the fan simply slides into two plastic brackets - just lift it up gently while making place. The worst is going to be the connector to the fan, if it's the top big one, it's secured with two hidden side clips, the top taps won't release it so use a tiny screw driver to push outwards each of the bottom clips at same time then pull - easy with a helper. No need to touch the steering pump or alternator (just the lower bolts), move the compressor to the right by sliding it at the bottom of the rad fins, then comes out on the airbox filter side. May need to undo the hard line at the pump (will leak a little) or the dipstick (top bolt then twist and pull upwards), but not sure
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
THolland

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Regarding removal of the fan and shroud - What oragex says plus, as I recall and he mentions, the fan shroud has a protrusion that likes to hit the hose when pulling it up and out. Trick is to angle it front and back, sort of a twist and dip, so it clears (not forced - just positioning). After doing it once, it is takes five minutes.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
THolland

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:39 am

As above, need to watch the cooling pipe from the transmission, early models also had the wiring loom hooked at the bottom of the fan assy. At some point Volvo went with a tricky larger connector the the fan assy

A fresh video with alternator and cooling fan removal tips

These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
THolland

THolland
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
THolland

Post by THolland » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate the tips! The pump came today, so I will start shipping away at it tomorrow and get back with any updates or (hopefully not!) questions or issues that come up!

Hi Guys, quick update. Tackled the job tonight, followed your tips and will say it went almost exactly as you both predicted. The fan harness must have been the new style as it was very ear=sy to remove - came right out using top snaps. Removal of the top screws was a bitch, aut am thinking that re-installation might be even worse..?! The one thing I found I needed to do was pull the lower transmission line. When I did it gave just enough clearance to rock the fan to that side and then gain the clearance on the left - and it came right out. I will say I stopped after that victory as I convinced myself to get a proper T60 serpentine belt removal tool. The clearance on the XC90 is horrible and I think this is a good investment for future. So, compressor removal will hold for a copke of days, reports back later - but big thanks for your help!