IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Time for a head rebuild?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Diligence
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo s60 2.5t
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Diligence

Time for a head rebuild?

Post by Diligence » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have recently purchased another 04 Volvo s60 this time with boost and awd. Only issue is it misfires on cyl 2. I'm quite familiar with the burning of exhaust valves so I was wondering where one could find a tutorial on how to quickly remove the head. I have verified that the exhaust valves are bad because I not only did a compression test on that cylinder and got 0 psi but I work at a Dodge dealer so I brought it in and ran a smoke test and found exhaust coming out of the tailpipe. It doesn't smoke while running either so I can confirm rings are in good condition. The smoke doesn't come out anywhere else but the tailpipe and it's only on cyl 2. So I plan on rebuilding or replacing the head. I just need a link or vid on how to go about it as I'm not familiar with Volvo engine's.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Time for a head rebuild?

Post by RickHaleParker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:05 am

Get and install Volvo VIDA (Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales) on a laptop and you will have all the information a Volvo dealership has.

Instructions are located here, read at least pages 1, 6 & 16. You do not need a DiCE (Diagnostic Communication Equipment)unit to use VIDA but it comes in handy for reading Volvo specific DTCs and setting some software flags.

You can get a Chinese clone DiCE on eBay or Amazon for $75.00 and up. There are a few clones you want avoid, we can help you navigate the selection. If you have a J2534 interface at work you can use it with Volvo VIDA instead of a DiCE unit.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:14 am

I think many recommend rather an engine swap. The heads on these are unlike on an american or japanese car, VVT hub setting is more complex, you'll need tools to locks the cams, press down on the cover, etc. Is the awd still working ?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:05 pm

VIDA is a great source for instructions. The head is pretty much the same for all 5-cylinder Volvos. Do a search on the forum.

You would be best served buying or borrowing the tools for the head. There are work arounds and build-it-yourself tools if you search. It is doable without the special tools, but it is more difficult.

The head is not that difficult - the main difference is how Volvo uses the cam cover - both as a valve cover and as cam journals. VVT timing can be tricky, but there are videos and many posts on the subject.

I suggest you read through the various posts and watch the numerous videos and then ask questions that may cause problems.

The biggest struggle without the special tools is getting the VVT hubs off (extremely high torque), but you can leave them on and replace the front seals from the other end once the cam is out. Related issue is getting the cam cover off without stressing the cam - again do some looking and you will find the work around.

Otherwise I don't find the engine any more complicated than other engines.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:19 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:05 pm
The biggest struggle without the special tools is getting the VVT hubs off (extremely high torque), but you can leave them on and replace the front seals from the other end once the cam is out.
Camshaft is not just the straight rod alone, it has lobes...
I was wrong, the ID of the seal is definitely bigger than the lobes.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:04 pm

I have successfully done it this way. The VVT side seal is larger than the other end seal and clears the lobes. One can seat the seal in the head half with the cam, then lower the cam cover. Doing a dry run with a stripped down head (no lifters - so the cam spins freely) gives one a feel for the process. Of course everything has to be clean and ready, think through the sealant application during the process.

The main condition, one knows the VVT hub(s) is/are fully functional and one marks the correct areas so that VVT timing can be set with minimal fuss. (make sure the marks are not lost while cleaning). It is a bit more cumbersome, but it is a nice solution under certain circumstances - mainly the cam cover is coming off (which on the Volvo is not so simple as a standard valve cover).

I have done similar with Subaru head rebuilds.