IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

940 GLE Alarm system

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

Mn10
Year and Model: 940 1994
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Australia
Mn10

940 GLE Alarm system

Post by Mn10 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi everyone😊,

I have some questions and thoughts on my 1994 940 GLE alarm and central locking system which I can’t really figure out.

First of all I’m quite sure the GLE models came with a factory alarm as standard (correct me if I am wrong), but my one looks like it has been changed somewhere along its life. The car is in very good condition and has clearly been taken care of so I don’t think it’s got to do with anything dodgy.

In the 5-6 years I’ve had it, there have been no issues but now one of my alarm remotes don’t work with the car anymore (even though the remote lights up when I press the button). I’m left with only one remote. I have no idea what the cause is. The remote just has one button for lock and unlock, and the key is a standard silca key (with no chip).

Also the only way central locking works is with the remote, pressing the locks down inside doesn’t activate central locking and there is no other central locking button inside the car.

I am not sure about the immobilizer. I’ve heard that there might be one that would kick in if I were to start the car without disarming the alarm using the remote first, I am not sure since this aftermarket system confuses me.

Is there any way to get a better look at the alarm system inside it and perhaps track down a manual for the system?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit: Also there is no red alarm light anywhere in the interior.

Edit: Central locking doesn’t work with key from outside either. I’m starting to think this is an aftermarket central locking kit without any sort of alarm system. Not sure.