IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2004 V70 DIM Circuit Board Coded Data

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Peter0112
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Peter0112

2004 V70 DIM Circuit Board Coded Data

Post by Peter0112 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi folks,

I have two DIM circuit boards, the original board to my V70 that failed and a used board I bought online. They have identical part numbers and components. My question is can anyone identify the chip that contains the vehicle specific coded data and is it a viable plan to remove the chip with this data from my original board and replace it on the used board I purchased? Would love to find a schematic of the board but have not had any luck with this search.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus
yagger

Re: 2004 V70 DIM Circuit Board Coded Data

Post by yagger » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 am

Most likely, you can swap DIMs without some soldering (if they have same Part numbers), but in this case you will get mileage from used DIM. If you want to keep your original mileage (or mileage from your destination DIM) you have to transfer data from Motorola MCU or re-solder micro controller itself.
These users thanked the author yagger for the post:
Peter0112
Volvo electronics and programming.Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.
Aftermarket Online Data Transferring Service for Volvo Pass: total

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:33 pm

The circuit board part number is one thing but it’s the stickers on the back side of the DIM that determine the compatibility. Since it sounds as though the OP has just a spare board without the rest of the DIM then it stands to reason that he wouldn’t know if it’s a compatible board without sticking it in and trying it.
These users thanked the author chrism for the post:
Peter0112

Peter0112
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Peter0112

Post by Peter0112 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Thank you yagger and chrism for your replies. Let me provide additional information that may help with troubleshooting the issue I'm having. The original issue was with a common problem I've seen reported by numerous owners of this year and model of the instrument cluster going dark and would result in a no start condition. I was able to reset this by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery enabling me to start the vehicle again. Eventually I was unable to resolve this issue and was no longer able to restart the vehicle. With the original DIM in the vehicle when I insert the key and try to start I get no lights on the instrument cluster and the engine doesn't turn over at all - basically nothing happens and with the original DIM in the vehicle the battery would drain.

This is what led me to purchase a used DIM. Purely by luck the part numbers on the white stickers on the white exterior frame of the used DIM and the number stamped into the circuit board are identical so this leads me to believe the part numbers are a match. At this point I installed the used DIM I purchased and installed a new battery and tried to start the vehicle and the engine turns over but doesn't start and I still have no lights on the instrument panel gages and the check engine light remains lit. I plugged in my Launch Creader V+ ODBII and was able to see a U0073 code. After reading about this code I, perhaps erroneously, thought that the physical CAN was not likely to have been damaged but more likely the vehicle specific coding on the used DIM was rendering the used DIM module invalid and unable to properly communicate with other modules on the CAN causing the instruments to not light, the engine to not start and thus generating the U0073 DTC.

So I'm curious to know, is "coding:" actually unique to each vehicle? If coding is not unique to each vehicle then I likely have a problem with both DIMS or there is another issue entirely.

In the interim I've done some testing and comparing or the two circuit boards and believe I've found the short on the original DIM and will attempt to clean and repair the circuit board to try and resolve the issue.

I look forward to any additional help you folks may be able to provide.

Thanks again,

Peter