IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help Please! Just purchased 2008 XC90, looking for parking sensor/camera retrofit/Bluetooth addition

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Ilthas
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Ilthas

Help Please! Just purchased 2008 XC90, looking for parking sensor/camera retrofit/Bluetooth addition

Post by Ilthas » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:23 pm

Hey all,
I just purchased my first Volvo! It is a 2008 XC90 and everything is essentially base model, single CD, no aux input, no backup camera etc. My wife really wants (needs) bluetooth integration (GPS) and a backup camera or sensor.

I was trying to find retrofits/aftermarket products that were compatible with my particular xc90 package. I've seen a few things and am aware that I can go with the Grom-MST4 in order to get Bluetooth/Au,x but that wouldsolve the backup camera problem.

I was hoping that you could recommend some affordable options for a backup sensor/camera and BT integration. I'm relatively handy (I can easily do the GROM-MST4 install, have done similar things in the past) but I don't want to get into heavier stuff (soldering) or compatibility troubleshooting with the vehicle's electrical harness.

Thank you in advance!

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Help Please! Just purchased 2008 XC90, looking for parking sensor/camera retrofit/Bluetooth addition

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 pm

Do some searching - mainly videos. I looked into doing an upgrade before gifting mine to my sister.

The solution I saw working is basically buying a harness, mounting bracket and then taking apart the existing radio and keeping a part of it still connected to the system (this is tucked away in the cavity).

It appears you can buy any head unit that works with the harness - look for one with rear cam, BT and GPS. Then it is just a matter of running the camera wire, BT mic and GPS antenna.

Ilthas
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Ilthas

Re: Help Please! Just purchased 2008 XC90, looking for parking sensor/camera retrofit/Bluetooth addition

Post by Ilthas » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:24 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 pm
Do some searching - mainly videos. I looked into doing an upgrade before gifting mine to my sister.
Thank you for your swift reply, I was hoping that somebody could recommend a particular brand/model that they had had success with. Do you happen to have any starting points? I know that there is a ton of relatively universally compatible stuff out there now but I'd like to go for something that is somewhat proven.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:42 pm

Not a camera but for distance alarm I use this and works fine (install video linked at the end). Can be done easily www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpl7fmkVwsE

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 am

Unfortunately I never pulled the trigger. From the sounds of it - it is a matter of budget, brand preference and features.

Just go to a Best Buy or similar and look for a head unit that does what you want at your price point. You can ask them and their installers what they like. Then make sure you can find a harness and mounting bracket that will work. That was how I proceeded until I gifted the car - I was real close.

Did you watch any videos on installs - that should give you an idea. You can source a nicer camera that fits into the reverse lights rather than drilling holes - I did this on my old V50 (but I added a screen). It made the exterior appearance clean and tight.