IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Timing Belt Jumped a Few

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
EngineeringdadS80
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Timing Belt Jumped a Few

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:59 am

Can anyone give me a step by step on how to correct the Crankshaft and Cam Setting Marks after your belt slipped a few notches?
I followed this video last year ( )..I used all the proper Volvo Tools and everything lined up perfectly a year ago. Evidently the Timing Belt Tensioner came loose, belt jumped a few notches. I've corrected the tensioner issue but I don't trust it...so I ordered a new OE. At present my exhaust/intake Cam Wheels ended up at 1:00 o' Clock position (on a clock) and the Crankshaft Gear at 9:00 o' Clock position. everything is now off….but stills runs fair but a check engine with ODM for Crankshaft Position Sensor (P0087)….How do I get everything back to its proper settings again? I have my Volvo Cam Locking SCP-15P003/ Crankshaft Holding Tool by KTC from the first time I did the Belt, Pump, and Idler change, so that’s won’t be a problem. Need a STEP BY STEP to correct the misalignments.
Attachments
Volvo Timing Marks As Found on 11.21.2019.jpg

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Timing Belt Jumped a Few

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:38 pm

It may not be that simple. You need to make sure you did not bend any valves. It is too early to tell if you are only one hour, per your description off, or if one of the cams is 180 degrees off - you mention the crank is at 9 o'clock - per your picture it should be closer to 11:30.

So proceed with care moving forward - turn the cams and cranks with care feeling for excess resistance. If you encounter piston to valve contact, you can try walking the cams and lowering the crank until it clears. A back and forth - just don't force anything. You should be able to get lined up.

Best course is to re-time the engine. As the Volvo doesn't use TDC (top dead center) for setting time you should be safe. Just release the tension on the belt and remove belt. Set your crank to the timing mark and then set your cams. Time the engine like you did before using the tools.

When done turn by hand and if all is good see if it starts. If you have issues, other than timing codes, it could point towards bent valves. You will need to do a leak down or compression test at that point.

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:15 pm

No valves are bent. Especially since I put 2,000 miles on it since issue occurred. It has power, torque etc. By retiming are you referring to locking cam with tool, removing belt, manual turn cams clockwise and then back to cover marks and MANUALLY turn Crank to mark. Can the Crank ever be Handed Counterclockwise or strictly Clockwise?

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:53 pm

I am not going to exactly answer your question as there is some uncertainty on my part. I will explain what I know.

Without the head on the Volvo engine can be turned by hand for servicing (oil issues not a concern because not that many rotations) counter clockwise. Engines with timing belt assembly fully attached it is not advisable because belt slack and the chance of jumping. On other engines, not your Volvo, the issue could be tensioners and related.

In your case the engine can be turned counterclockwise with the belt off provided the valves do not hit the pistons. This is why I mentioned in the earlier post walking the cams and crank to get everything where you need them to put on the timing tools. Basically one rotates the cams into position and if you feel contact you lower or raise the pistons until you get clearance. Once keeps doing this until the cams are where they should be.

As I recall your engine, with the crank set to the timing mark, piston 1 is almost at its highest point. All the other pistons are pretty low so if the valves are open they should not hit the pistons. This means that the valves for piston 1 are closed - ie they will not hit piston one.

What you have to determine is if you have enough "play" to back the crank. I think you should as the crank when set at its mark is getting ready for actual combustion on piston 1. The next move in the combustion cycle is for the belt to transfer torque to the cams so that piston one valves open.

You can confirm this: What I would do is take out your spark plugs and with the belt still on set the crank to its mark. Look down the spark plug wells and take note of where the pistons are sitting. If you have a helper have them crank the engine by hand and watch the pistons go up and down while noting where your cam marks are. Maybe put a whiteout mark on the cams on the inside so you can watch and judge which way you will have to turn your crank to get it back in time. Sounds like you have decided you will need to go counter clockwise 5-15 degrees. Pay the most attention to the marks on piston 1 and where the piston is in the cycle.

Based on what you observe you will know if it is as simple as taking off the belt from the crank and backing off the crank counter clockwise. At this point, if this holds true, with the belt still on and having been rotated clockwise set your cams and lock them down. Then remove the belt and back off the crank to the timing mark. I think this what you want to hear and do.

Just take it slow and stop if you feel piston to valve contact.

Remember - that when any piston is at the top of its cycle that valve will be closed.

Once you get to the point everything is basically aligned - time it like you did before - which really is just adjusting the VVT system correctly.

Hope that helps.

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:45 am

Thank You Sir....

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 am

SuperHerman, wasn't that bad afterall. Heres what I did.
1. Removed Cam Sensor covers.
2. Removed Timing belt Covers.
3. Re-installed top cover with Timing Marks.
4. Hand cranked Crankshaft to Timing Marks.
5. Exhaust Cam was only one off (at 11:00 pm)
6. Locked Cams.
7. Removed Timing Belt.
8. Rotated Both cams clockwise and fhen back counterclockwise. All marks lined up.
9. Locked cams wheels, so rhey wouldnt move while re-installing Timing Belt.
10. Installed new OE Volvo Timing Belt Tensioner.
11 Hand Cranked Crankshaft two full turns. No valves hitting.
Everything turned out Perfecto.

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 am

I understood your original post in detail "process of elimanations"

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:22 pm

Excellent results.

For future reference - Question: With the crank set to the timing mark on the 2.9 engine one can rotate both cams 360 degrees without piston to valve contact when the timing belt is not on?

Or put another way: For the 2.9 engine when the crank is set to the correct timing mark, and one removes the timing belt, all of the pistons are all low enough to permit both cams to be rotated 360 degrees and one does not need to worry about the valves hitting any of the pistons.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
EngineeringdadS80

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:00 am

Excellent....Thank you. Im going to cut and paste and save to my Volvo Doc file your last post for future reference.

DreDay
Year and Model: 2005 s40
United States of America
DreDay

Post by DreDay » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Hey! Talking about timing belts jumping a few....... Well my alternator belt shredded while speeding up passing someone. I knew what it was because the belt was already looking old. Anyway, put the new belt on and there was a huge loss of power. So the fuel pressure sensor was the first replacement since it was right around the belt. Ended up doing a few more little fixes that changed nothing so, I stopped by the stealership..... Mechanic told me to check the same things I had.

Then, he has his moment: he told me "I would be worried about driving the car around much. The timing might be off because that shredded belt probably got pulled into the timing and then a few teeth were skipped." I did pull out a serpentine belt part from the timing case, and when I went to check all the marks, sure enough, the crank was not aligned. I was able to pull out the tensioner while the cams were locked and moved the crank back into place, then replaced the tensioner. All better!

Just thought I would share. Hope this helps someone.

This guy had the worst complication of the belt shredding:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=86298
Last edited by DreDay on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author DreDay for the post:
EngineeringdadS80