IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Sealing the right side of a M66 AWD for a FWD setup.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

TheMrFailz
Year and Model: 2002 V70 2.4T
United States of America
TheMrFailz

Sealing the right side of a M66 AWD for a FWD setup.

Post by TheMrFailz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:56 am

To keep it short I've got an M66 AWD trans I'm swapping into a FWD '02 V70 and I have no intention of keeping the AWD aspect. I know that the AWD collar sleeve is essentially free floating (although usually frozen) and held in by the angle gear and also keeps the M66 side of the angle gear - trans link sealed fluid wise. Most of the research i've done has basically said "Just stick an angle gear on and don't connect it to a rear driveshaft" but simply put getting my hands on one isn't gonna happen. What I'm looking to know is if I use inhumane amounts of threadlocker on the angle gear sleeve would that be good enough?

In this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... Fix-Denied the OP basically just sticks the CV shaft in as a holdover as the angle gear was frozen in place so it wasn't going to fall out. He doesn't mention it leaking at all.

And in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79549 the OP does the same thing but uses hose clamps to keep the sleeve from working it's way out. His being technically still freefloating and not frozen it seeps a bit.

I am aware that anyone looking to yank that angle gear in the future is going to basically have to pry it out with a sledgehammer and prybar but I'm doubtful this car will have any more owners, especially ones looking to retrofit AWD on.
Professional jerry-rigger.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Re: Sealing the right side of a M66 AWD for a FWD setup.

Post by vtl » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:32 am

You need a reverse hammer and your share of luck to remove collar sleeve from the differential. Leave it as is, it won't come out on its own.

Angle/bevel gear has two seals that sit on the CV axle. One of these seals is located inside collar sleeve, make sure it is replaced with a new one, since it has to work about twice hard.
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k

TheMrFailz
Year and Model: 2002 V70 2.4T
United States of America
TheMrFailz

Post by TheMrFailz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:39 pm

vtl wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:32 am
You need a reverse hammer and your share of luck to remove collar sleeve from the differential. Leave it as is, it won't come out on its own.

Angle/bevel gear has two seals that sit on the CV axle. One of these seals is located inside collar sleeve, make sure it is replaced with a new one, since it has to work about twice hard.
Mmmm there-in lies the problem. Trans as I have it doesn't have a sleeve in there which is why I was worried about a new one falling out since it doesn't have dubious amounts of north east road rust to freeze it. Also I know about the seals but thanks for the headsup anyway.
Professional jerry-rigger.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 pm

TheMrFailz wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:39 pm
Mmmm there-in lies the problem. Trans as I have it doesn't have a sleeve in there which is why I was worried about a new one falling out since it doesn't have dubious amounts of north east road rust to freeze it. Also I know about the seals but thanks for the headsup anyway.
First press sleeve in =)
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:15 am

Any update?...did you fit a Angle gear, its the best way in my opinion. How did you go re-tuning the ECM?