IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
I'll be performing maintenance on the server March 31. I'll try my best to make interruptions as painless as possible. Thanks for your understanding.
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

User avatar
callahanoffroad
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:25 pm
Year and Model: 1995 850
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 31 times
United States of America
callahanoffroad

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by callahanoffroad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 am

abscate wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 am
How old were those puppies??

:D
Honestly bro I have no idea, I got them at a used tire shop back in October. I drive so much and I have had so many alignment and suspension related problems that I've just been throwing used tires on the car bc Herman was just eating them up. 4 tires every 6 months or so. Used AND new tires. So $180/four tires every 6 months is a better deal than $500 every six months. But I think I have it all sorted out now. I think I'll get some subframe bushing inserts on my next parts order. They didn't look bad but better safe than sorry IMO.

Rear tires wear fine, even with the extra weight. It's just when the tires go up to the front that they wear super fast on the outside edges.

If I have time today I'll write down the numbers on the tires for everyone's entertainment. Also, I'm all of a sudden feeling like the MVS Cousin Eddie. :lol:
Author, Chef, and Shade Tree Mechanic

1995 Volvo 850, Non-Turbo, VVIS, LH FI, Green, 215,000 miles. B5254FS engine. Herman. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84393

1996 Volvo 850, died at 280,000

Founder of: CookingForChemo.Org

User avatar
MoVolvos
Posts: 2200
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:47 pm
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
Location: NC
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 54 times
United States of America
MoVolvos

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by MoVolvos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:33 am

-
From the pictures it looks like mainly an under inflation problem maybe with a little toe issue in conjunction with lots of spirited cornering. Under inflation is the main however. There is a little bit of play where the struts attached to the steering knuckle for camber but toe is really the only adjustment.
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

User avatar
WhatAmIDoing
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:13 pm
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5M
Location: North America
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 56 times
Canada
WhatAmIDoing

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by WhatAmIDoing » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:35 pm

callahanoffroad wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 am
abscate wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 am
How old were those puppies??

:D
Honestly bro I have no idea, I got them at a used tire shop back in October. I drive so much and I have had so many alignment and suspension related problems that I've just been throwing used tires on the car bc Herman was just eating them up. 4 tires every 6 months or so. Used AND new tires. So $180/four tires every 6 months is a better deal than $500 every six months. But I think I have it all sorted out now. I think I'll get some subframe bushing inserts on my next parts order. They didn't look bad but better safe than sorry IMO.

Rear tires wear fine, even with the extra weight. It's just when the tires go up to the front that they wear super fast on the outside edges.

If I have time today I'll write down the numbers on the tires for everyone's entertainment. Also, I'm all of a sudden feeling like the MVS Cousin Eddie. :lol:
callahanoffroad wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:42 am
I'm going to wrap up this thread with the declaration that the cause of my excess wear was old tires with weak sidewalls causing excess wear. This requires excess tire pressure to compensate. Solution: buy actually new tires with a proper load rating. Used tires is no longer an acceptable solution for me. 😂😂😂
I know this cycle. Now that my suspension rebuild is done, I'm finally going to buy new tires. No more mismatch used tires for me. And hopefully no more replacing tires every year. Though I am going to miss getting 3/4 tread life Michelin for $25 / tire. :roll:
'98 S70 T5M - 276,000+mi - forever a project
'99 S70 "AWD" - 220,000+mi - wrecked :cry:
Knows enough to be dangerous :wink:

User avatar
callahanoffroad
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:25 pm
Year and Model: 1995 850
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 31 times
United States of America
callahanoffroad

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by callahanoffroad » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:23 pm

WhatAmIDoing wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:35 pm
callahanoffroad wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 am
abscate wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 am
How old were those puppies??

:D
Honestly bro I have no idea, I got them at a used tire shop back in October. I drive so much and I have had so many alignment and suspension related problems that I've just been throwing used tires on the car bc Herman was just eating them up. 4 tires every 6 months or so. Used AND new tires. So $180/four tires every 6 months is a better deal than $500 every six months. But I think I have it all sorted out now. I think I'll get some subframe bushing inserts on my next parts order. They didn't look bad but better safe than sorry IMO.

Rear tires wear fine, even with the extra weight. It's just when the tires go up to the front that they wear super fast on the outside edges.

If I have time today I'll write down the numbers on the tires for everyone's entertainment. Also, I'm all of a sudden feeling like the MVS Cousin Eddie. :lol:
callahanoffroad wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:42 am
I'm going to wrap up this thread with the declaration that the cause of my excess wear was old tires with weak sidewalls causing excess wear. This requires excess tire pressure to compensate. Solution: buy actually new tires with a proper load rating. Used tires is no longer an acceptable solution for me. 😂😂😂
I know this cycle. Now that my suspension rebuild is done, I'm finally going to buy new tires. No more mismatch used tires for me. And hopefully no more replacing tires every year. Though I am going to miss getting 3/4 tread life Michelin for $25 / tire. :roll:
That's exactly it. It's like this cycle and then I'm looking at decent new tires and they're between $80-160/tire and it's like... Wow. That's freaking expensive
Author, Chef, and Shade Tree Mechanic

1995 Volvo 850, Non-Turbo, VVIS, LH FI, Green, 215,000 miles. B5254FS engine. Herman. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84393

1996 Volvo 850, died at 280,000

Founder of: CookingForChemo.Org

crlande
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:48 pm
Year and Model: 240DL;850;S70
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
crlande

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by crlande » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:47 pm

All tires have a DOT date code stamp into the sidewall. The last 4 numbers. Week and year.

User avatar
misha
Posts: 4186
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Location: Serbia
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 114 times
Serbia
misha

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by misha » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:44 pm

crlande wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:47 pm
All tires have a DOT date code stamp into the sidewall. The last 4 numbers. Week and year.
This^^!
Tyres are usable up to 8-10 years from the production date.
After that they become hard as a plastic without traction power and sliding on the road like a skate.

Since you have the same wear on inside and the outside on BOTH front wheels it can be something like this:
-with a lots of load in the trunk...if you don't have nivomats at rear....rear side goes DOWN and front side goes UP,messing up with a camber this way.
If tyres are at they maximum life from 8-10 years or even older(when they should NOT be used)....it's just because of old tyres.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 20460
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 898 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by abscate » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:04 pm

I guess my 1976 trailer tires are past due? I’ve been preserving them with old used engine oil.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

User avatar
erikv11
Posts: 9585
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 261 times
United States of America
erikv11

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by erikv11 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:13 pm

abscate wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:04 pm
I guess my 1976 trailer tires are past due? I’ve been preserving them with old used engine oil.
Just switch over to using the new used engine oil on them. And if you're out of that you can run the old used engine oil through another oil change cycle then it's new used engine oil and voila!
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 285k
'06 S60 R, 165k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 125k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

User avatar
WhatAmIDoing
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:13 pm
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5M
Location: North America
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 56 times
Canada
WhatAmIDoing

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by WhatAmIDoing » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:53 pm

crlande wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:47 pm
All tires have a DOT date code stamp into the sidewall. The last 4 numbers. Week and year.
I thought this was true, but I have a pair of dry-rotted Doral tires that look ancient. Can't find a date code anywhere, still hold air though. Other than brand, tire size and PSI, all else I could find was a 'Made in Indonesia' stamp.
'98 S70 T5M - 276,000+mi - forever a project
'99 S70 "AWD" - 220,000+mi - wrecked :cry:
Knows enough to be dangerous :wink:

User avatar
misha
Posts: 4186
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Location: Serbia
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 114 times
Serbia
misha

Re: Help Me Figure Out This Tire Wear

Post by misha » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:10 am

There is DOT XXXX.
1st two numbers are week and last two a year when they are manufactured.

Look at both...inner and outer side...because on some tyres there are letters after DOT instead of numbers on one side.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post