IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...swap?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Acetheprince
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 am
Year and Model: 2001 V70XC AWD
Location: Rhode island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Acetheprince

Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...swap?

Post by Acetheprince » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:53 pm

I went to my local junkyard to grab some interior pieces for my 2001 XC70...I found a CLEAN 2001 V70 that has a manual in it...the vin was YV1SW61R911113720..which when decoded shows that it’s an automatic??? I was thinking about going back during the week and taking the transmission and ”swap needed” parts out in case my automatic ever shits the bed (it is an 01 after all..)..but the car is FWD and not a turbo so am not sure if it’s even possible

Basically my questions are if its even possible to use the FWD non-turbo manual transmission and also the vin decoding as a automatic, why? :?
Last edited by matthew1 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited Subject. Please, no "??!!??"s in Subjects.

User avatar
RickHaleParker
Posts: 3877
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:30 pm
Year and Model: See Signature below.
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 475 times
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by RickHaleParker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:17 pm

If you want to keep the AWD you need a M58 or M66.

There is no way to determine if the car was original equipped with a manual from the VIN number. In some cases you can eliminate a manual transmission and determine that it was equipped with a automatic but never can determine that it was equipped with a manual from the VIN. The VIN decoders defaults on the side of the most probable, which is an automatic.

There are no manual only engine codes and there are no transmission codes in 2001 VIN numbers.


2001 Engine codes
29 = B4204T3 (auto only)
53 = B5234T3(auto/man)
56 = B5244 (auto only)
58 = B5244T3 (auto only), (AWD auto) & (AWD/XC auto)
61 = B5244S (auto/man)
90 = B6284T (auto only)
94 = B6294S (auto only)
Last edited by RickHaleParker on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger, Plant Ghent Belgium.

User avatar
oragex
Posts: 4689
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:
Canada
oragex

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by oragex » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:39 pm

These swaps are all but easy and may require some software programming

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 20438
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 895 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by abscate » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:42 pm

You will also need to reprgram your ECU to take the M56 inputs and ignore the lack of AT inputs - my guess is yagger can do this for you.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

Acetheprince
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 am
Year and Model: 2001 V70XC AWD
Location: Rhode island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Acetheprince

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by Acetheprince » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

RickHaleParker wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:17 pm
If you want to keep the AWD you need a M58 or M66.

There is no way to determine if the car was original equipped with a manual from the VIN number. In some cases you can eliminate a manual transmission and determine that it was equipped with a automatic but never can determine that it was equipped with a manual from the VIN. The VIN decoders defaults on the side of the most probable, which is an automatic.

There are no manual only engine codes and there are no transmission codes in 2001 VIN numbers.


2001 Engine codes
29 = B4204T3 (auto only)
53 = B5234T3(auto/man)
56 = B5244 (auto only)
58 = B5244T3 (auto only), (AWD auto) & (AWD/XC auto)
61 = B5244S (auto/man)
90 = B6284T (auto only)
94 = B6294S (auto only)
Ahhh..thank you very much sir, I figured there was a catch to using a fwd tranny in a awd car.. I’m new to Volvo, i built nissans most my life..can you tell me which cars were equipped with the M58 and the M66 so I can keep an eye peeled, thanks

User avatar
RickHaleParker
Posts: 3877
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:30 pm
Year and Model: See Signature below.
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 475 times
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by RickHaleParker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Acetheprince wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm
can you tell me which cars were equipped with the M58 and the M66 so I can keep an eye peeled, thanks
M58
2007 - 2010 Volvo C30
2007 - 2010 Volvo S40
1998 - 2004 Volvo C70 Convertible
1998 - 2002 Volvo C70 Coupe
1998 - 2000 Volvo S70
1998 - 2000 Volvo V70
1999 - 2006 Volvo S80

At least two versions: M58H, RATIO 4.0:1 and M58L2, RATIO 4.25:1

-------------------------------------------

M66
2007 - 2013 Volvo C30
2004 - 2010 Volvo S40
2005 - 2008 Volvo S60
2005 - 2007 Volvo V70

Not sure now many versions.

It is pretty clear he does not want the M56. If anybody wants it, it is at the Johnston, RI Pick-N-Pull on row 8.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger, Plant Ghent Belgium.

Acetheprince
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 am
Year and Model: 2001 V70XC AWD
Location: Rhode island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Acetheprince

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by Acetheprince » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:22 pm

RickHaleParker wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:14 pm
Acetheprince wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm
can you tell me which cars were equipped with the M58 and the M66 so I can keep an eye peeled, thanks
M58
2007 - 2010 Volvo C30
2007 - 2010 Volvo S40
1998 - 2004 Volvo C70 Convertible
1998 - 2002 Volvo C70 Coupe
1998 - 2000 Volvo S70
1998 - 2000 Volvo V70
1999 - 2006 Volvo S80

At least two versions: M58H, RATIO 4.0:1 and M58L2, RATIO 4.25:1

-------------------------------------------

M66
2007 - 2013 Volvo C30
2004 - 2010 Volvo S40
2005 - 2008 Volvo S60
2005 - 2007 Volvo V70

Not sure now many versions.

It is pretty clear he does not want the M56. If anybody wants it, it is at the Johnston, RI Pick-N-Pull on row 8.
Lmao you’re good! How’d you know Mr smarty pants :lol:

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 20438
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 895 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by abscate » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Row 52
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

User avatar
RickHaleParker
Posts: 3877
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:30 pm
Year and Model: See Signature below.
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 475 times
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by RickHaleParker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:31 pm

Acetheprince wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:22 pm
Lmao you’re good! How’d you know Mr smarty pants :lol:
1. Rode Island in your profile in your profile.
2. I knew there are two Pick-n-Pulls in the Providence metro.
3. Searched the Pick-n-Pull inventory for the Providence area.
4. Found the VIN number you listed.

Keep it neat, trim your quotes.
Last edited by RickHaleParker on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger, Plant Ghent Belgium.

Acetheprince
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 am
Year and Model: 2001 V70XC AWD
Location: Rhode island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Acetheprince

Re: Found a V70 with a manual at the junkyard...SWAP?!!?!?!

Post by Acetheprince » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:33 pm

RickHaleParker wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:31 pm
Acetheprince wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:22 pm
Lmao you’re good! How’d you know Mr smarty pants :lol:
1. Rode Island in your profile in your profile.
2. I knew there are two Pick-n-Pulls in the Providence metro.
3. Searched the Pick-n-Pull inventory for the Providence area.
4. Found the VIN number you listed.
Fair enough lol, thanks for the help again sir!!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post