IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
I'll be performing maintenance on the server March 31. I'll try my best to make interruptions as painless as possible. Thanks for your understanding.
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Bevel Gear Adjuster Nut Leak? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Skymongrel
Year and Model: XC70 2006, S80 2007
United States of America
Skymongrel

Bevel Gear Adjuster Nut Leak?

Post by Skymongrel » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:32 pm

IMG_3806.JPG
Right Front Axel Seals Dry
I have a 2006 XC70 and have been chasing a leak under my bevel gear for a while. I put dye in the transmission and used UV light to test for the leak. The fluid collecting in the belly pan seemed to glow yellow green under UV light so I thought it was tranny fluid. Then I discovered that regular bevel gear oil glows yellow green under UV light as well. I suspected bevel gear oil because it has a unique sharp odor if that makes sense.

After a thorough cleaning and checking after a short drive I've located the leak at the crown gear adjustor nut (the one with the knobby exterior teeth). The two seals, inner and outer appear quite dry! The left corner of the included picture represents the six o'clock position of the bevel gear and adjusting nut. It's cleaner than the rest of the area because it was previously wiped dry before test drive. But just below this area it was very wet with what I now know is bevel gear oil.

From diagrams it looks like there is an o-ring behind this huge nut. Is it as simple as taking this nut off and putting in a new o-ring. Or am I in for new inner, outer sealing rings as well.? I did find a link to changing this these parts but wanted an experienced opinion. Thanks!

Skymongrel
United States of America
Skymongrel

Re: Bevel Gear Adjuster Nut Leak?

Post by Skymongrel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:12 am

Anyone with advice on this? Is it as simply as just replacing the 0-ring (PN 977023) behind the angle gear preload adjuster nut? Appreciate any advice, thanks.

xHeart
Year and Model: 13XC90/01V70X/97N854
United States of America
xHeart

Post by xHeart » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 am

A small leak from the adjuster nut o'ring and axle seal can spark an immediate action from the AWD folks. There are two corrective steps to take before you go on to the remove and seal path.

1) Purchase AG fluid to Volvo spec -- Synthetic 75W90 such as Mobile, Valvoline. 2) Drain and fill AG to correct level, i.e., fill-to-drip (let it drip to single), then draw out 60-100ml. The AG capacity is between 640-700ml.

Clean and monitor AG for next step, if any.

If leak returns, then choose 75W140. If 75W140 fails too, NOW look for ways to resealing AG, NOT Barr.
These users thanked the author xHeart for the post:
Skymongrel
--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2013A XC90 +144mi/231km | 2001 V70XC 1st Owner +196mi/ +315km | 1997 Volvo 850 NA 1st Owner +180mi/ +289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240

Skymongrel
United States of America
Skymongrel

Post by Skymongrel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 am

I've cleaned this thing a number of times. The leak in my opinion is significant and doesn't appear to be coming from the angle gear seams but from between the pre-load adjuster nut and the angle gear housing. As my picture shows the outer seal looks quite dry but the side of the angle gear below was quite wet (no picture). I have 75-90 Mobil Syn in there right now. Is it possible for the adjuster nut o-ring to leak so badly without having a bad outer seal? My understanding of this anatomy is limited. BTW what is "NOT Barr."?
Thanks for your advice!!

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:54 am

I think "Barr" is a reference to stop leak products.
The tabs on that end cap/adjuster are fragile so no drift and hammer use here. There is a special tool disc with 1/2 square drive and a series of roll pins drive in that engage the tabs The leak in salt country can be due to corrosion which makes getting adjuster out and can cause the adjuster or AG case to have pitting that makes a new O ring not fix the leak. The adjuster is turned in until the free play is eliminated and then two notches more for bearing preload. All of this requires removal of the AG to assure cleanliness and access.
So there are two ways to go: 1. remove AG, pull adjuster out and reseal and hope no corrosion and it stops leaking. 2. blow out the full circle gap between adjuster and case, degrease it with a few brake cleaner spray and air blower treatments, use a small brass or stainless brush and clean the case-adj gap, then seal externally with grey high torque/extra hard RTV sealer. Effectively caulk it to seal it. Sounds low class/low tech but sometimes the dismantling proper repair carries risks that make that approach unwise when it is an oil leak. Oh, this external technique is sometimes used as THE method. Volvo 3.2/3.0T engines have a shaft end that sticks through the drive gear case for its cam and accessory drive system. That shaft is sealed from possible leakage but a thin steel disc that is slathered with RTV and pushed into the shaft end so that the RTV glues the disc to the shaft and the case metal that circles the shaft. Not the only place a manufacturer has used low tech/easy/low cost solution effectively.
These users thanked the author jimmy57 for the post:
- Pete -

Skymongrel
United States of America
Skymongrel

Post by Skymongrel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:19 am

Ok, great advice. I am not motivated to removed the AG! I had the axel out the other day and replaced the inner seal (cause I had one), it didn't solve leak. I do have that adjuster nut removal tool on order (33$) and was prepared to go that route. I think I'll double check AG fluid level and top it off for now. I'm in salt country, so maybe the RTV solution is where I'm at. Thanks for the practical alternative route!!

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:15 am

Awesome Jimmy57!

2 of my BG’s are leaky. Like you, I also ordered the adjuster nut tool & O-ring. I just never got around to looking behind the adjuster nuts.

I’ve had the leaky BG’s out of the cars for other reasons. At the time I had them out, though, I didn’t have the tool nor the o-ring etc.

So far, I’ve gotten into the habit of checking the gear oil level when I have the cars in the air. I use a piece of solid copper wire bent in the shape of the letter “L” as a dipstick. I’m always amazed at how little gear oil is actually lost! Yet can really look like a scary leak underneath the car.

Here’s one of my absolute favorite bevel gear write ups.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... ics/205157
2001 V70XC 146k
2004 V70 AWD 139k
2004 V70R M66 143k
2004 XC70 283k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

Skymongrel
United States of America
Skymongrel

Post by Skymongrel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Yes, very good point about a small leak can look much bigger than it is. Because a couple weeks back I tried the dip stick method and thought "Hey it must not be the bevel gear cause level looks good", but quite a bit of fluid was still collecting in belly pan. I'm gonna check it again today (heat wave in WNY).

That's a good link and I did see that one. Here is another good one directly tied to this issue; http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/87 ... ent-xc-70/

I'm still looking for info cause if I do open the adjuster nut, need to know if I should replace that outer seal. Don't known how difficult that is. I just did the inner one , a pain as it was stuck good and even harder to get it tapped in correctly.
Thanks for sharing.

Skymongrel
United States of America
Skymongrel

Post by Skymongrel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:55 pm

OringLeak.JPG
I once again crawled under the car and removed belly pan to look a Angle Gear. As expected it is wet with oil. Added a couple ounces of fluid to be safe til I decide whether to open up the adjuster nut and replace oring and outer seal. All original with 160k.

Included a picture showing small drips ( yellow drops at bottom left) from adjuster nut and Angle Gear housing seam. Seals were dry (just a little wetness from grease I used on the new inner seal the other day). Just a little drip but the whole bottom side was wet and fluid collecting in belly pan.

Does anyone have experience with the technique described in the link I posted in previous post. (hope its not frowned apon to link to another site!).

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Bevel Gear Adjuster Nut Leak?  Topic is solved

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:38 pm

Your AG doesn't look terribly crusty so you might be safe from the corrosion and the scary stuff for the adjuster removal.
If you do the O ring for the adjuster then I would do the seals while the cap is out as in the car R&R of that seal is not nice as you likely already know. If you do remove adjuster bathe the gap between it and the case with wd-40 or similar to float all the crap out. The adjuster has a great tendency to bind up for debris in that area.
These users thanked the author jimmy57 for the post:
Skymongrel