IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 XC70 - Re configuring the parts bin

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Ac427
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Ac427

2006 XC70 - Re configuring the parts bin

Post by Ac427 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am

Hi All,

I'm in need of expert help on my XC70. I'm a mechanic and have been for the last 26 years - but old school, where functional understanding, a multi-meter and a good ear could fix anything. Now we're in a world of computers and it's not so easy - for those of us that don't have all of the different proprietary software required!

Anyway, I have a 06 XC70 that i got on the chap as a total punt. If i can get it going i'll be thrilled, but i also understand that it's a potential pile of burning cash so i'm willing to sink another $500 into it to get it running, after that, call the wrecker and send it to the breakers yard. Reason being, it's a total unknown regarding how well it runs, if the transmission is good, if the 4x4 system is good and so on. The rest of the car is exceptionally clean and well kept. At some point, 3 or so owners ago everything worked fine. Apparently. I'm the third person to take on this issue.

"Start Prevented" I know enough about modern vehicles to know they are all coded to the cars themselves. Volvo it seems is a bit more involved having 3 modules to worry about all talking to each other.

I have 2 CEM's, 2 key antenna's, 2 different keys along with ignition barrels. 1 BCM & 1 ECM. They have all been swapped around and the configuration that is in the car now are original. Apparently. :?

No configuration of the components gets the car started - just the error message that the start has been prevented, and a brake system failure. As this vehicle has been in a game of musical modules, i just need to start again. What are my options beyond towing it to Volvo and bending over the billing counter with my pants down?

Do the antenna rings play any part in the security side or are they simply data transmitters between the key & modules? If the latter, no need to mess with that part.

I'm fairly certain that VIDA is going to be required here, but on the off-chance it isn't, what other software is capable of talking and writing to the modules?

I simply need someone to sync 1 set of modules together. As i only have 1 BCM & ECM, and they are still in place i have to assume they are original. I've read previously that modules have to be cleared in the original car they were placed in before they can be reprogrammed, but this was a long time ago. Is this still the case or can junk yard modules now be programmed?

In digging around i did see that XeMODeX can reprogram, but this comes at a hefty cost. Who else can do this? I can't seem to find definitive purchase options for consumers. i did see a 3 day subscription, but again, that was a long time ago.

It's all really frustrating stuff. Shouldn't matter if the vin's don't match.

Thanks in advance for any input, it's very much appreciated!

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus
yagger

Re: 2006 XC70 - Re configuring the parts bin

Post by yagger » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:25 am

Can you take a photo of your parts and original VIN?
Also, take a photo labels from all modules you have please.
After get this info, we will offer good way for solve your "question".
These users thanked the author yagger for the post:
Ac427
Volvo electronics and programming.Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.
Aftermarket Online Data Transferring Service for Volvo Pass: total

Ac427
United States of America
Ac427

Post by Ac427 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:17 pm

yagger wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:25 am
Can you take a photo of your parts and original VIN?
Also, take a photo labels from all modules you have please.
After get this info, we will offer good way for solve your "question".
I'll get the modules all out of the car and get this information. That was actually a question i had that i forgot to put in the original post - are the modules labelled from the factory to indicate the VIN they were installed in. I now assume yes.

yagger
Belarus
yagger

Post by yagger » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:43 pm

Let start from accumulate info. Send photos please and we will see what we can do. )
Do not worry we know what we do. We can back to life any Volvo's very easy. It is our favorite business. )

Ac427
United States of America
Ac427

Post by Ac427 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:43 pm
Let start from accumulate info. Send photos please and we will see what we can do. )
Do not worry we know what we do. We can back to life any Volvo's very easy. It is our favorite business. )
Here you go
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

yagger
Belarus
yagger

Post by yagger » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 pm

What about VIN? you can find it under windshield, driver side.

Ac427
United States of America
Ac427

Post by Ac427 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 pm
What about VIN? you can find it under windshield, driver side.
PM Sent

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:00 am

ive had this "start prevented" message also, i tried removing the RFID (radio freq ID or microchip) and taping it to the antenna ring but this proved very difficult. i have now swapped the antenna ring module ( serial number must be same i think) that picks up the chip much better and working with no problems.

Ac427
United States of America
Ac427

Post by Ac427 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:53 am

darrylrobert wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:00 am
ive had this "start prevented" message also, i tried removing the RFID (radio freq ID or microchip) and taping it to the antenna ring but this proved very difficult. i have now swapped the antenna ring module ( serial number must be same i think) that picks up the chip much better and working with no problems.
Did the chip trick on a Jeep i had, just glued it to the barrel ring and worked like a charm. Bring on the $3 replacement keys :D

Does anyone know if the 3 day VIDA subscription provides access to programming modules? More specifically, re-using junkyard modules? The key that fits the doors is just a standard chip key, i'd like to have a working remote key - which i have with the other parts the PO acquired from a auto breakers before selling the car.

yagger
Belarus
yagger

Post by yagger » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Ok. I got your vin. You have a correct equipment for your car, and we can sync it. For this you have to ship to us CEMs, ECM (on your picture module LC.2) and all keys from your car. Not need to ship to us BCM!
Also one question: did somebody tried to program key to your CEMs?