IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Coronavirus Thread

Non-car talk is a place to talk about topics that are not related to cars or MVS.
Forum rules
Disallowed: religion, race, politics, war and disrespect toward others.
Allowed: history, computers, sports, movies, careers, art, music, relationships and the ten million other topics in our lives. Act like the adult you are. Enjoy.
RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Coronavirus Thread

Post by RickHaleParker » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:00 pm

abscate wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:09 pm
The last person who thought that you can accelerate solving complex science problems by throwing more money and people at it was Elizabeth Holmes.
When did Investment Fraud go scientific?
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger, Plant Ghent Belgium.

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:28 pm

abscate wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:09 pm
Lets not get our hopes up. A tested vaccine is 12-18 months away.
Perhaps, a ray of sunshine....research document can be viewed at this twitter post

BREAKING RESEARCH FROM CLINICAL TRIAL on HCQ + azithromycin in treatment of COVID-19.
100% of patients with COVID-19 were virologically cured after 6 DAYS of treatment.
p-value <0.0001

93Regina
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5
United States of America
Cees Klumper

Post by Cees Klumper » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:25 pm

I am concerned that, within a week or two, the US will have more cases than China, considering the steep increase in day-on-day # of new cases and the probably very large number of as-yet undetected cases. But at least more serious measures are being taken now and people in general are paying more attention, so the increases should start to be less dramatic in a few weeks. I just hope enough people can afford not to work for extended periods. If not, or people just get impatient in general, this will take over and cause a large death toll, no matter what. In small Netherlands, the current worst case scenario is that as many as 500,000 may die, on a total population of only 17 million. Italy and Spain are feeling it and many European countries are in serious 'lockdown mode'. And to think this could probably have all been contained. We may be heading for a situation where there will be 'corona free countries' (like Hong Kong, South Korea, maybe Japan, most African countries and select others) and countries where it's rampant. You won't be able to get into a 'clean' country without stringent testing and quarantine. Or proof that you were vaccinated once that's possible.
These users thanked the author Cees Klumper for the post:
volvolugnut

93Regina
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Cees Klumper wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:25 pm
vaccinated
Its been suggested re-infection is possible....but since a vaccine has not been evaluated, its unknown how effective it will be.

If a Rx therapy works, not vaccine, it will be implemented quickly.

Community spread is the issue currently....I would suspect all state health departments have information for medical, businesses, individuals, etc.

For instance, I do banking in two different cities, and both have curtailed lobby entrance unless an appointment is made...use ATMs and drive-ups now. This suggests some entity sent out notices to them.

Employers, at least in my state, have been served notice via state health department to encourage employees to stay home with temp/cough. Even dentists must check temp on all employees, each day.

befarrer
Year and Model: 1998 V70 AWD
Canada
befarrer

Post by befarrer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pm

There have been many closures here, basically all restaurants and bars are closed, anything over 50 people is not allowed, including religious events, and funerals (nobody allowed to die?). I was in trade school, this would have been week 3 of 8, my last year, but just go the word tonight that it is cancelled. So I have to arrange with my employer when I return to work. Good news for me, I am a HD mechanic, and I work for the city, working on the city equipment, and the local energy provider, which maintains all of the power, water, and sewer lines. Should mean at very least a shortened work weak and not lay offs. As long as I'm not in quarantine. I've not been at school since friday, having a 5 day weekend not going anywhere has been boring, just doing some errands to take care of stuff and prepare for a long stint at home, and working on my V70 all week so far.
98 V70 GLT AWD
01 Focus Wagon SOHC 5-speed
93 Mazda B2200 with 13B rotary engine swap

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:36 am

Interesting thoughts, Cees Klumper. Some calculations I have been making, show maybe a slight trend that Italy has a reduction in spread of the virus since they locked down the country. This reduction of spreading is not dramatic and only appeared after 7 days. This makes some sense, based on the average incubation time of 6-8 days. I will be watching this for other European counties. Even a slight flattening is good.
Calculation of potential deaths based on current treatment and past deaths, can be very alarming. Particularly, if a large percentage of the country is infected in the future. If lock down/ social distancing works, even slightly, a lot of deaths will be avoided. Even if everyone is later infected, reducing the peak number will allow health care a better chance to treat people.
volvolugnut
These users thanked the author volvolugnut for the post:
Cees Klumper
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

93Regina
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:16 am

Update to this family:

Previously posted - Italian-American family living in NJ - Coronavirus Ravages 7 Members of a Single Family, Killing 3

Current - Coronavirus kills 4 members of New Jersey family: "I don't know why this is happening"
A GoFundMe created for the family says six members of the family members were hospitalized with "severe symptoms" on March 10. "The Fusco family needs your thoughts and prayers during these hard times and any amount of donation would be greatly appreciated," organizer Allen Zak wrote.
Last edited by 93Regina on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author 93Regina for the post:
Cees Klumper

Sveedy
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo
United States of America
Sveedy

Post by Sveedy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am

Since Italians are being hit hard, is there something in their genetics which affects them more. Speculation, btw.
[/quote]

And that's how something else spreads, inadvertently as it may be. Please be careful...

93Regina
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:54 am

Sveedy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am
And that's how something else spreads, inadvertently as it may be. Please be careful...
Italy has more seniors, population based, so this aspect is valid reasoning, as based upon current death statistics of older humans being affected more. But, that Italian-American family living in NJ being affected as such does not square with known death statistics. Article suggested family member wanted a postmortem examination to investigate as to why.