IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

ECU cooling fan operation

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

ECU cooling fan operation

Post by darrylrobert » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 am

Neither of my 2001 or 2002 xc70's have the little ECU fan, keeping such an important computer cool especially in a hot climate like Australia. Im thinking maybe the hot weather issues i am having maybe due to the ECU overheating?..i checked the temp of it after a drive (25c day) and it was very hot to touch.

My old 2001 ECU box has the (pic right) old ventilation port that would go to the fan shroud however this port is blocked, i was thinking of drilling small holes and attaching a hose on it but that my be sending hot air from the engine bay past the ECU and into the cabin? bad idea ...so instead i updated the box from my 2002 which can take the ECU motor.

whether the ECU motor sucks air or blows air i will find out when it arrives but in the meantime i want to check it runs on a simple 12v input and not some pulsed modulated signal?
ecu pic 1.jpg
ecu pic 2.jpg

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: ECU cooling fan operation

Post by oragex » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:19 am

The small fan on cars after 2002 or so works usually well enough, on hot days mine keeps spinning after turning off the engine, for some 2-3 more minutes. As it gets old, it starts making a hissing noise that can be heard from inside the cabin. The modules do get quite hot to the touch - even home computers can take some heat

Jarredron
Year and Model: 2017 XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jarredron

Post by Jarredron » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:02 am

Does the fan spinning for minutes after turning off engine stress the battery at all?

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 am

Oh, absolutely not. It's a small DC motor that uses no power, can even be powered by a small 9v battery.
Speaking of the ECM box with an opening for early models, I also noticed that at the junkyard. I thought first it had a tube at the front grid for fresh air, then I realized that would also get humidity from rain at the ECM modules - not good. I always double check the bottom section of the ECM box because it doesn't always stay properly and leaves a gap - that can accumulate humidity when rain passes through the radiator and the large connectors at the bottom of the ECM are quite sensitive.