IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

'02 T6: Replacing lower engine mount (underneath turbo)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
jpkuntz
Year and Model: 2002 S80 T6
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
jpkuntz

'02 T6: Replacing lower engine mount (underneath turbo)

Post by jpkuntz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Who has successfully replaced this mount? I got the front one in OK but I'll be damned if I can figure out how you get the other one swapped out. The FCP video of the S60 replacement makes it look fairly straightforward but there is so little room around the turbo plumbing that I can't see how it comes out.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: '02 T6: Replacing lower engine mount (underneath turbo)

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 am

Have you disconnected the upper torque brace, removed all bolts for all the other motor mounts and lifted the engine? The old mounts get compressed with age so you need to create clearance. If you have an above engine brace you can lift the engine up and lower the subframe some to create more space. I suppose you could do it with a couple of jacks in the right spots - just be smart so the motor doesn't harm you (put a safety block in for extra measure). You don't need to remove the cradle - just loosen it some.

I recall doing it on my XC90 - a bit of a fiddle - maybe a bar in the way. If I recall I put the extension through the gap and then put the socket on and used either 3/8" and possible a wobble.

ndphotonl
Year and Model: 2001 S80 2.4T
Netherlands
ndphotonl

Re: '02 T6: Replacing lower engine mount (underneath turbo)

Post by ndphotonl » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 pm

I used the same video, but was fairly dissappointed when I started the job, just like you hahah!

On the S80, there is a big lack of space in that area. I have a 2.4T by the way, but I assume the mount sits in the same place.

I used a 1/4" rattle with extension and swivel head to get to the bolt. As I am a home mechanic, this needed to be done lying on the floor. The subframe below the car has a small notch to use the 1/4" extension in. After protruding through the hole, you need to the swivel head on with the 14mm socket on it.

After getting the bottom bolt of, the rest should be self explanatory (see comment from SuperHerman above).

The tools I used:

1/4" Extension

Swivel head
Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel