IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

V70 Steel Tank Long Crank Fixed

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

chancejack
Year and Model: 2004 v70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
chancejack

V70 Steel Tank Long Crank Fixed

Post by chancejack » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:15 pm

Ok just want to share an experience of how did I fix my V70 w a steel tank, long crank problem.

Year: 2004 V70 w 70k miles
Symptom: Special in the morning cold start, Long crank, need to press the gas peddle to help to start.
Diagnosis: Use fuel pressure gauge, prime the fuel couple time, found out : the fuel pressure drop quickly.
After look at many information online, so this is could be the check valve at the fuel pump went bad. Ok, but this is a painful steel tank, it is so hard to get on the fuel pump, it is not worthy to get a 200 dollar fuel pump for the check valve which cost me about 10 dollar.

Tips may help others:
1. the location I choose to add a after market check valve is the under the passenger side wheel. Use quick disconnect tool disconnect the fuel line.
2. Do not , Do not use the ball check valve,
Image I tried this first, and it failed.

You need to use spring type check valve.

other than this you may need a connector:

So the size of the fuel line connector is 5/16" 9mm .
Hope this can help.

chancejack
United States of America
chancejack

Re: V70 Steel Tank Long Crank Fixed

Post by chancejack » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 pm

Here is the photos
Attachments
Connector.jpg
connector
Connector.jpg (68.04 KiB) Viewed 119 times
springvalve.jpg
spring check valve
springvalve.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 119 times
checkvalve.jpg
ball check valve: do not use this type

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:10 am

thanks where did you source the valve from?..problem with trying to repair the intank check valve is removing the valve (think its molded in the plastic?) second is buying a replacement, i emailed bosch 1 week ago and no reply.
fuel pump 2.jpg

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:21 am

I wonder if the original topic has properly diagnosed the issue. Most garages look at the fuel pump because many import and domestic cars have problem with their fuel pumps, but on these Volvo cars the fuel pump is very rarely at fault, even on cars with very high miles. Most probably the problem is either with the fuel pump module PEM or pressure sensor FPS, on cars from 2003up. With fuel pressure dropping quickly, possibly the FPS is leaking internally. Easy to replace, but careful not to strip the small bolt, and to release the fuel pressure at the shredder valve and work on a cold engine.

chancejack
United States of America
chancejack

Post by chancejack » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:14 pm

@ darrylrobert
Thank you for your interest on my thread. Well, I would say I admire you very much, I didn't have the courage or skill to try to get into the pump. So first of, how I diagnosis my issue? From my symptom: not just long crank but when I press the pedal gently it will helps. Besides, once it started, it runs really smooth no issue at all, so I rutted out the PEM and fuel pressure sensors issue. IF those two had issue, when I tried to accelerate hard, I will notice it. Secondly, by the fuel pressure gauge. It can prim the fuel by turning key, but can't hold it. which tells us there is a internal leak somewhere that caused it can't hold the pressure. So there is two possible, the check valve or the injector. Of course, let us try the easier one first. So I put in a check valve.

@ darrylrobert : I didn't take the pump out. I just find the section of the fuel supply line that has the quick connector, it is under the passenger side, near the right front wheel. Ok , yours is the plastic tank, that will be even easier. Your will find your fuel filter easily, right? near the right rear wheel? so put the check valve before or after the fuel filter. Let me know you have any further questions.

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:02 pm

thanks, if you have "fixed" the problem installing your own one way valve that is great, however i personally would be finding the real problem and fixing it. At first i thought adding a one way valve was a great idea but if an injector is leaking then its not going to fix the problem and you are changing the design of the fuel system, for safety its designed NOT to hold pressure above 3.8bar, you really need to add an inline one way pressure valve. Good luck