IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2005 S60 NA Acceleration/power issue at load

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

jkirk
Year and Model: 05 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jkirk

2005 S60 NA Acceleration/power issue at load

Post by jkirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm

First time here so please be gentle. :-) I have an '05 S60. Nice car but definitely used and has had a couple of issues. One, back in June, the car actually blew an ignition coil that was fixed by a local volvo mechanic. He said it was shattered and seen nothing like it. Fine and fixed. The symptoms back then are the same as they are now.

This time I decided to tackle it myself feeling that either the old coils were dead or dying and also did the plugs. All fine and done, car runs a bit better than it did. So, I decide to go out and test it. Same symptoms. Engine starts to gasp as if it was searching for air at load and at 2 to 2.5K RPM it drops about 250 rpm, back up to 2500, back down a couple hundred RPM then up to say 2600 and it goes on from there.

I got an ODBII reader and found a code description (sorry, I am not near anything to get the actual code) that reads large leak in Evaporative Emmissions. Looking through the engine compartment, everything looks good and secure. The only thing I found I am actually very curious about is there is a 2 to 3 in aluminum hose behind the engine block accessible from the open hood that is connecting the engine to what looks like the air flow system. Not sure what it is but it is just one there; no ring claps or anything there other than it being loose and freely moves about the receiving hose connections. Odd to me.

Lastly, given my descriptions, I could be all wrong about my feelings. What are the chances this is related to either fuel filter, fuel pump, charcoal cannister, or anything else for that matter? I am hoping for a simply glaring, cost effective solution. I am already $400 in the hole for the plugs and coils. Given what is happening today (Covid) and the fact I am one of few still working, it is vital I keep this vehicle in working order. Thanks everyone in advance.

Jeff

jkirk
United States of America
jkirk

Re: Acceleration/power issue at load

Post by jkirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Oh, one other thing. I can sit in the car in the driveway and rev the engine easily to 2k to 3K RPM without any issue. It's under load if that makes a difference.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi Jeff,
Is this a 2.5T? R?
Any abnormal sounds or excessive noise?

A photo of the pipe you’re referencing would help a lot. Down below this box you type in for a “quick reply” click on the “full editor & preview” button. Then in the bottom of that screen click on the “attachments” tab & you can add images there. After adding images, click somewhere in the reply box, then on your attached file select “place inline” & your photo will be added to the reply. Then just click “submit”. If you have a hard time PM me & I can post it for you.

It sounds to me like you may have blown the charged air pipe off of the turbo. If you recently did ignition coils, or a shop did, they would have had to remove this charged air pipe to get access to the coils & plugs. Very possible that when they put everything back together they forgot to tighten the worm clamps which keep this pipe from being blown off when the engine is under load & turbo is “under boost”.

You mentioned the pipe was “aluminum”, this is what made me wonder if the car is an R.
2001 V70XC 146k
2004 V70 AWD 139k
2004 V70R M66 143k
2004 XC70 283k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
chrism

Post by chrism » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm

What type/brand spark plugs and coils did you install, and is the evap system fault code the only one you're seeing?

Also, (long shot) do you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can connect and monitor while driving?

jkirk
United States of America
jkirk

Post by jkirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:20 pm

The parts are new but not OEM. That was a $$ decision I will live with. Performance only improved but slightly so I am not concerned. This is a 2005 Volvo s60 base model. I have been asked the R question before and I am not clear on that. However, I know it is NOT turbo. So, that is out. The pipe I refer to I believe is call a Pre Heat Pipe or something like that. I found it strange to have a hose attached to the neck of something else without some kind of restraint, clamp or otherwise. Pictures inline. I also read somewhere that the EVAP code could be due to a bad seal on the gas cap. I got one but have yet to give it a try. The other looks okay, but then again the rubber seal is a bit stiff. Thank you everyone for your replies!
Attachments
20200326_182807[1].jpg
20200326_182755[1].jpg

jkirk
United States of America
jkirk

Post by jkirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Sorry about the images, they came off my phone and in 100%. Tips there for this process would be helpful. ;-)

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 pm

thats just the hot air intake, its only needed in sub zero temps

when my old V70 blew a turbo hose it had no power under load but i could still drive it home, and the revs did not jump around as you describe but it was a stick (manual), if your car is auto maybe the gearbox is trying to find a gear??...

the gas cap causes issues usually when trying to restart when hot, but sounds like it could be your fix

jkirk
United States of America
jkirk

Post by jkirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 pm

we will see tomorrow. Long day and have another vehicle. It is so hard to describe accurately what is going on. Another way to describe it is a limp at these rpms. I also read that today and said that's describes it. Then up to speed through this, normal feeling and sounding gear shifts (auto), the revs come down below 2k, and it's business as usual. I just don't need to be out in this thing fearing it's going to die or? One reason I have not hit the highway but have had it up to 45/50 in the situation as described here frequently.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 2005 S60 NA Acceleration/power issue at load

Post by abscate » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:14 am

That big fat silver tube tells us you don’t have a turbo, so simpler to work on.

Ignore the evap code for now, that won’t cause poor running.

If you used decent coils and plugs let’s assume those are good. Revving it under no load probably means those parts are ok, but won’t fault a fuel delivery problem without load.

Getting a fuel pressure gauge in the fuel rail would be my next focus. The P2 use electronically managed fuel pressure through electronic modules. These do fail through corrosion between 100-200k

I wrote up symptoms and replacement in my 2005 V70 NA “ Catherine” which you can find in the maintenance thread in the Linked forum in my sig
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2005 S60 NA Acceleration/power issue at load

Post by oragex » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:47 am

As said above, those silver hoses only grab some hot air from above the exhaust, absolutely no problem if it has holes to it

How many miles on the car ?

I would throw a very wild guess because there is no other data, codes, etc, maybe there's wear at the throttle body gears. It can be easily opened (car battery disconnected), it has 4 clips, and may peek inside at the gears for any play

Of course, can be other things, maybe a split vacuum hose somewhere. May want do to a PCV test (youtube)