IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Parking brake adjusting

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
GraemeRBell
Year and Model: 2006 D5 AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
GraemeRBell

Parking brake adjusting

Post by GraemeRBell » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:02 am

Any 1 no of any good videos to watch in how to adjust the parking brake on a Volvo XC90

I cant find any apart from in Russian would like to be able to hear and understand how it's fun as well as see it being dun
Any help on videos for this please been looking for 3 pluse days now

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: Parking brake adjusting

Post by ggleavitt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am

, as a couple examples.

If you wanted to put adjustable expanders in the rear and avoid doing the cable, this is a reasonable video
You can find the parts by doing an internet search for "brake adjuster fitting kit xc90 rear".
2005 2.5T AWD-200k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-130k

GraemeRBell
Great Britain
GraemeRBell

Post by GraemeRBell » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:32 am

Seen them 2 not to much help. I've got mine stripped rite now looks the same but following both mine don't do any thing like them am thinking the cable could be stretched past the point of no return

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm

You had suggested that you could not find a video in English, hence my reponse. This issue is also posted on MVS a couple times- see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31716 , link inside the link for cn90's version of the rear brake job and subsequent adjustment.

It's a PITA, I've done in on mine 3-4 times over they years (I have new-ish shoes on both) and it usually takes a couple tries to get things right, vise grip on the front pulling while you hold the back and tighten up the barrel while keeping tension on the back. Volvo uses their own version of spreader pliers, I have a set of reverse pliers that I'll modify before the next time I need to do this job.

If you're to a point where you need more adjustment but don't think you can make it up with the adjuster alone (I'll guess the cable is NOT stretched), there's always the expander option. Think there's another adjustment up front on the pedal (reset), I've never had to do it and you'll want to find a copy of VIDA to see it for yourself how it's done.

Good luck with your repair.

Edit 032720- typos
2005 2.5T AWD-200k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-130k

GraemeRBell
Great Britain
GraemeRBell

Post by GraemeRBell » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:49 am

Managed to get the parking brake to sort of hold but going to pull the brake pedal off to see if I can reset that as well or put on the adjusters upgrade on the back brake shoes