IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

My 850 Turbo wagon was side swiped, steering column position wont stay put.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Nick777
Year and Model: 1995 850
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
Nick777

My 850 Turbo wagon was side swiped, steering column position wont stay put.

Post by Nick777 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:21 am

So as i stated in an earlier post i was side - swiped with impact on the rear drivers door and dragged a bit (maybe 5 feet or so). Broke the axle, replaced, now good as new.

However what i didnt notice (probably because i was furious regarding the accident - both of our faults) after getting the car back from my mechanic is that even when applying the steering column position lock handle on the left side of the steering column, the entire column still moves in all directions (albeit not as freely as when i dont apply the handle). There are two potential causes i can offer for this:

1) the accident itself

2) the fact that i was so furious at the being in the accident (which delayed an important physician visit for a very sick family member - im a caretaker for three essentially helpless family members), i started violently pounding gorilla style on the upper edge of the steering wheel. Now I'm no powerlifter, but im also not "that skinny guy who gets sand kicked in their face at the beach" (you older timers will understand my reference).

3) Im highly.doubtful that it occured during the axle replacement process - what reason would there be to mess with the steering in such a way as to cause damage?

Anyway what do you guys think? Is it likely something requiring a new column (mechanic found used operating one for 240$) or perhaps some component i can service myself?

Thank you.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: My 850 Turbo wagon was side swiped, steering column position wont stay put.

Post by abscate » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 pm

You won’t break the column pounding on it, and that serious safety stuff to play with

The whole system has to be inspected all the way down to the rack
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

Nick777
Year and Model: 1995 850
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
Nick777

Re: My 850 Turbo wagon was side swiped, steering column position wont stay put.

Post by Nick777 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will have someone check it out.

But just to get some idea ob what are likely culprits before I give to a mechanic for inspection (mind you for those reading this - I'm quite ignorant on this topic), let me think out loud:

1) I drove it this way for probably 5 miles or so, navigating multiple turns along the way, and did not feel any miscommunication between my steering and the direction of the car (i believe this is referred to "looose steering).
2) by my understand of the U-joints in the column, this symptom wouldn't suggest a problem with them.
3) the steering shaft collapsed? Doesnt seem to make sense as the impact was solely on rear drivers door and by my fairly naive eyes and feel it, if such a collapse occured, effectively shortening the length of the steering shaft, there would likely be some evidence (though i suppose this obviousness would strongly be dependent on the degree of collapse).
4) loosing of bolts fixing steering column to dash? The looseness / articulation of the telescoping and tilting of the steering wheel as i recall does not feel as though the mount is involved (though will check into this further, perhaps if the mount was a little loose it might be hard to detect anyway? )

So forgive me for thinking out loud, but it seems the most likely culprit for the symptoms im reporting is a loosening / breaking of the mechanism thats directly involed with locking the steering wheel position.

Again, a mechanic inspection is in order, but whats your fellas feedbacks on my thoughts?