IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Timing belt and pump replacement 2001xc70

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Timing belt and pump replacement 2001xc70

Post by darrylrobert » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:50 am

Almost finished replacing the coolant pump and timing belt on my 2001xc70 . Ive only run the car for a very short time because i havent re filled the coolant however there are no more strange noises or 'walking' of the belt. Not sure when the previous owner changed the belt, i was told it was just before selling the car to me. The Gates brand belt had been soaked in oil a few times due to various oil leaks however looked in good condition as did the gates idler and tensioner, but like many aftermarket products the Volvo doesnt like non Volvo components.The pump looked original and had a very small amount of play in the bearing, possibly what was causing the noise and walking. I noticed the new pump had what looked like a timing mark?..do water pumps need to be timed, i set it at 12oclock.

TIPS raise the engine near the oil filter after removing top and front engine mount bolts for more room, remove coolant reservoir and ecm box.

Very important, check VVT 8mm hub to sprocket bolts, there are three. ive read of these coming loose, mine needed some tightening.
tbelt.jpg
I decided to only use the supplied gasket as i couldnt see any traces of sealant on old gasket, and the surface was clean.
pump.jpg

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Timing belt and pump replacement 2001xc70

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:27 pm

Great job. To answer your question - the coolant pump has no timing mark.

When ever lifting the engine it is best practice to loosen or release EVERY mounting point so not to tear or stress the rubber.

Water pump gasket is made to be put on dry. I am not a fan of running a new coolant pump dry - it is best to put some coolant on it for lubrication. I could be wrong, but that has been my approach.