IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

'04 XC90 SRS system repair after deployment

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
PapaNoni
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
United States of America
PapaNoni

'04 XC90 SRS system repair after deployment

Post by PapaNoni » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:10 am

Hello everyone new guy here but a long time fan and follower of this wonderful forum.
I unfortunately hydroplaned my '04 XC(Mona Lisa) in the recent downpours over SoCali on the highway. Now I'm absolutely fine thanks to my baby Mona and I truly believe she saved my ass so now I want to save her. The damage was very minimal considering how bad the incident was and thankfully no other drivers were involved.
The front driver side tire took the blunt of the impact and all those mechanical line items I can replace with ease. I'm greatful the frame and subframe are flawless making this easy and within my means. My question is about the SRS system. I've read many things on the interwebs with mixed results. Both front air bags deployed so I'll need those, along with the clockspring, dash pad and front seat belts. What else would I need to replace?
1 All the seat belts both 2nd and 3rd rows?
2 SRS control module? Location?
3 impact sensors?
4 I've read mentioned of the steering column having a pyro device so it too would need to be replaced?
5 anything I'm missing or overlooked?
6 is it worth getting a vida setup? (I'm completely sold on Volvos now and currently in the market for a lightly loved sedan for my wife.)

Some background on me, I'm a certified ASE mechanic with all measure of tools and 10 years knowledge mainly in heavy-duty diesel and crane work. I have limited experience with Volvo's other than mine so just learnin' how the swedes do things. But I'm not afraid to get into things and only wish, as many do, that a factory shop manual was available. :/
Thank you in advance for your time, advice and help.
These users thanked the author PapaNoni for the post:
June

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: '04 XC90 SRS system repair after deployment

Post by wanderdüne » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:39 am

You can download the VIDA here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... nload-Link for the repair and replacement procedures and parts list etc.

You will probably want to get a DiCE clone on ebay or amazon. Don't use the CDROM that come with these; just use the download. You will need the DiCE interface for diagnostics and to clear codes etc.

FCPeuro, IpD, RMEuropean, Smith Volvo Wholesale Parts are good places for parts; Erie VoVo is a good used source other than JY parts.
These users thanked the author wanderdüne for the post:
PapaNoni

PapaNoni
United States of America
PapaNoni

Post by PapaNoni » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:01 pm

Awesome thanks for the heads up on vida and the parts houses. I know a couple of those but it's good to have lots of resources. I'll have to check with Erie VoVo about a fender and front bumper cover. My "Mona" is of the 456 paint code or Crystal Green Metallic/Crystal Green Pearl which is dang near impossible to find in junkyards. I'm hoping to not have to need a paint shop so finding these two items would keep me out of the booth and probably be a better match.

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:23 pm

This store: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=in ... 0&_sacat=0 Is parting one out on ebay, a little expensive, but cheaper than paint. I replaced a damaged fender on my titanium metallic 2006 when I bought it; definitely a better match than a paint shop and less expensive. I paid around $300 or so.
These users thanked the author wanderdüne for the post:
PapaNoni

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:43 pm

When completed, I really would like to see a breakdown of exactly what you have to buy new, can buy used, and incidental expenses. I have been here since 2016 an have watched for a thread like this. I know the lousy insurance company would try and total my 2004 S80 if bags deploy. I won't let that happen unless the body damage is severe enough to take her from me. I love the fact you are saving your beloved Volvo!!!!! Please keep us informed! June
These users thanked the author June for the post:
PapaNoni
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

PapaNoni
United States of America
PapaNoni

Post by PapaNoni » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:52 pm

wanderdüne wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:23 pm
This store: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=in ... 0&_sacat=0 Is parting one out on ebay, a little expensive, but cheaper than paint. I replaced a damaged fender on my titanium metallic 2006 when I bought it; definitely a better match than a paint shop and less expensive. I paid around $300 or so.
Alas thanks for the heads up but I don't see anything I'm looking for listed which would be my luck lol. I need a front bumper cover and driver side fender. Maybe a rear passenger side door shell but that's not really necessary for the accident repair it just has a ding I don't like lol.

PapaNoni
United States of America
PapaNoni

Post by PapaNoni » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 pm

June wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:43 pm
When completed, I really would like to see a breakdown of exactly what you have to buy new, can buy used, and incidental expenses. I have been here since 2016 an have watched for a thread like this. I know the lousy insurance company would try and total my 2004 S80 if bags deploy. I won't let that happen unless the body damage is severe enough to take her from me. I love the fact you are saving your beloved Volvo!!!!! Please keep us informed! June
Thanks for the interest June and I'm sorry to hear about your S80. I'd be glad to update you once everything is in and done. I honestly don't think it'll take very much. The hardest part is finding a color matching bumper cover and fender. So far in suspension and steering parts I estimate about $350 which includes a tire and replacement wheel. That will get my precious Mona Lisa back on all fours and drivable. I'll still need to address the SRS system components plus the dash pad.
I cannot express how much I love this little '04 XC90. I got her cause it was a deal and planned to flip her but she has grown on me like no other car. She has all the bells and whistles other than the optional entertainment package. The smooth ride, reliability, comfort and premium sound have won me over and then some. She only had 80k on the clock when I got her a year and half ago and now at 109k she hardly feels it. When people complain about transmission issues or other reliability problems with the 04s I just wonder how poorly they must have maintained them or maybe driven them exclusively hard as mine has been very good to me. I've wrenched professionally for 10 years now and as a hobby since I was 16 on my 1964 Studebaker Commander. In that time I've had all manner of vehicles from VWs, Toyotas, Hondas, an Infinity, 60s muscle cars, a '59 euro bug, a few vintage Honda and Triumph bikes, and even a '30-'31 Ford Model A Coupe hot rod with a rumble seat and all. Out of all of those this little XC90 is in my top 3. I said if I can't get her back on the road then I'm buying a newer XC90 and placing her badges on the dash. In any other vehicle I know my a$$ would be grass and now I know why Volvo ranks so high in safety. I'm truly a fan for life.